FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 514164 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3945 on: Sep 23, 2020, 07:20 AM »
Thx guys I accualy found recipes on line to core them puree them than add spices and peppers onions hot peppers cilantro and lime juice garlic and salt  gonna give it a shot all to taste

Well that’ll beat newspapering then any day. Let us know how it turns out

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3946 on: Sep 23, 2020, 11:00 AM »
It’s good to live within a couple miles of Lake Ontario.  I usually do not get a frost until mid to late October and the last two years not until the first week of November.  Everything is still green and growing.  The spring though, sucks.  That lake keeps us ten degrees colder than people living south of ridge road.
As far as ripening goes. It is actually caused by the production of a plant hormone ethylene gas.  In my former working life, I taught a week long seminar on plant hormones. It was a great lecture for people with sleep problems ;D
To be short, some fruits ripen when in contact with the gas including tomatoes. A green tomato is producing minute amounts of the gas so if you wrap in newspaper, the ethylene gets trapped and hastens ripening.  A better option is placing green tomatoes in a paper bag with ripe apples ( bananas would work too but would get too soft). Apples produce a lot of ethylene.
   You ever wonder why tomatoes are tasteless in the stores in winter.  They are picked green and kept in warehouses that pump an ethylene prohibitory in. Just before shipped, they pump ethylene gas in.  That doesn’t work too well for tomatoes but it does for other fruit.
  Anyone fall asleep yet?  If not, I can discuss hydrogen ion pumps and the cell wall structure of tomatoes. That really killed my students ;D
I find that pretty dogone interesting 8)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3947 on: Sep 23, 2020, 11:17 AM »
I will tell you all something that surprised me this morning.   
 On Friday the 18th i covered my green tomatoes with a big blue tarp . Lows down to 26* one night and the rest in the 30's every night..
 Not having time to uncover water and recover them every day they stayed that way..
   Pulled the tarps off this morning and more than half are nice and ripe..
 Kind of like the paper bag.
Temps look good for a while so i have another few weeks..... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3948 on: Sep 23, 2020, 12:07 PM »
I will tell you all something that surprised me this morning.   
 On Friday the 18th i covered my green tomatoes with a big blue tarp . Lows down to 26* one night and the rest in the 30's every night..
 Not having time to uncover water and recover them every day they stayed that way..
   Pulled the tarps off this morning and more than half are nice and ripe..
 Kind of like the paper bag.
Temps look good for a while so i have another few weeks..... ;D
That’s great! I wonder if there will be any noticeable taste difference. Please keep us posted on your findings..

gotagetm

« Reply #3949 on: Sep 23, 2020, 12:29 PM »
Canned up the rest of red tomato salsa , was gonna try do do something with green in garden but when I got out there they have turned yellow with warmth ! So hopefully they ripen up we'll see supposed to warm for a bit

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3950 on: Sep 23, 2020, 12:31 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

gotagetm

« Reply #3951 on: Sep 23, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Wow
Very nice!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3952 on: Sep 23, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Very interesting read Pequot. I discovered that when researching why my tomatoes weren’t ripening as fast as I thought they should. Pretty sure it was just too darned hot this summer. I’m letting mine go till they fall off the vines.

Might try the newspaper or apples though. My Son works on an apple farm. We get the fresh off the tree.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pequod1

« Reply #3953 on: Sep 23, 2020, 04:16 PM »
That tarp did two things. It kept the plants warm and allowed the ethylene to build up.  That’s a near trick that should work for most gardens. 
   I did not know about this topic before May of this year.  Interesting how many other guys out there besides me love fishing and gardening.  Lots of good info here.
   Here’s something I learned about my soil.  Earlier this year I had high hopes and filled my newly made beds with a blend of compost/ top soil from the Garden Factory in Gates.  8 cubic yds that cost  me $400.  Little did I know the soil was no good.  Turns out the ph was 7.8!   Way too high for most plants.  Cornell co op. Did the test for me.  The tomatoes, and seed plans took a hit and I did my best at keeping them going. I spent the summer and today replacing the soil with a combination of top soil and miracle grow garden soil.  I also added an acid fertilizer to lower the ph.
   Ph is critical to plants. It basically allows plants to actively transport minerals in. The chemistry involved is interesting but again too lengthy a  topic for here. 
    It all comes down to this, if your plants look weak, have Cornell test the soil for you.  The store ph kits are not accurate enough for exact treatments but they will give you a general idea of where you stand.  If you are not sure, test now and get the soil prepared for next year.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3954 on: Sep 24, 2020, 07:33 AM »
Does it work for peppers? I got mine in makeshift greenhouse right now. I just wish I could do something for my watermelon, I have one melon that I have hopes of ripening.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3955 on: Sep 24, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I’m still pulling cherry tomatoes off my flipped over plants. Considered pulling them this past weekend but decided to keep them going while they are still producing.

Pequod, that’s some very useful information thanks for sharing!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3956 on: Sep 25, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Looks like this coming week is going to be the end. It’s gonna change and get cold.

That’s OK. The Little Wood Shop is up and going. Did some turning today. The tools are perfect...the turner has some rust on him, but I know how to deal with rust.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #3957 on: Sep 26, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Very nice haul

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3958 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Awesome!!!!

filetandrelease

« Reply #3959 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:14 PM »