FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518834 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4020 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Nice way to start the season..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4021 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:49 PM »

First baby asparagus is up, ready for transplanting in a couple months. We have carrots and spinach going as well. Starting the outdoor plants in a couple weeks.

Baby asparagus that you transplant?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4022 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Yeah we are starting from seed, put them in 4 inch jiffy pots, then put outside in April or May. We are new at it, but I have a  great spot for them that we composted last year.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4023 on: Feb 18, 2021, 05:24 PM »
You’ll never regret it. We have a well established asparagus patch. It’s really a treat to have fresh picked for dinner.

Still, it seems a bit early to be starting veggies, but then, we direct sow...except for the asparagus and garlic.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4024 on: Feb 19, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Started filling 4.5” pots today.  Only need 8,000 for the first batch then filling hanging baskets... Let the fun begin.      :P

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4025 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:23 PM »
d**n I wish I lived closer ( some of the time) I could get into that big time.

Bob

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4026 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:41 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. To me that's fun, not work. But I don't do it in that quanity

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4027 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:40 AM »
Ya know what they say about when a hobby becomes a job...   :P

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4028 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:26 AM »
You’ll never regret it. We have a well established asparagus patch. It’s really a treat to have fresh picked for dinner.

Still, it seems a bit early to be starting veggies, but then, we direct sow...except for the asparagus and garlic.

Rg
The asparagus you have to start early, then i'm putting them in 3 inch pots for as long as I can. We have like 200 garlic planted last fall, 3 varieties this year. We did some elephant garlic which is more like A leek, then hard and soft stemmed garlic. I used some groovy black stuff from the side of the lake in my beds last year, and composted them all with it, lots of fish poop and weeds.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4029 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Never heard of planting an annual asparagus. My bed is 5 years old now I think and just produces every year.

We have about 100 heads of hard neck in the ground. It got a really good start last fall. Should be a great harvest. We still have 50 or so in storage. If it starts sprouting heavily we’ll preserve it in oil. Makes use of all the garlic and garlic oil is pretty good to cook with.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4030 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Yeah I try and add new rizones every couple years. This is one of the boxes from last spring..

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4031 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Can you start an asparagus patch in a garden box or does it need to be in the ground ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4032 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:55 AM »
Deep roots on asparagus. Mine is in a 15” deep raised bed. When I set that bed I worked the soil almost another 12” below the bed. Once I’m done harvesting, it grows to well over 8’ tall. Something to consider when building a bed. I’m giving serious thought to moving it to another bed. The way mine are laid out, it blocks most of the sun from the bed behind it in the summer.

Rg

cnypanfisher

« Reply #4033 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:10 AM »
We are going to start our beds on the property line between a neighbor and myself. Try to establish the beds there, and use as a natural fence. We are probably going to get some 1 year old starts as well of other varieties. I'd like the whole side of the yard established for a lot of it. Should be fun trying either way, might have to till my soil deeper than I thought.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4034 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:27 AM »
Loose and sandy soil works best I’ve found. They don’t like wet feet.

Been reading up on transplanting and I’m definitely going to do it. I need to rebuild the bed they’re going in to anyway. May as well just make it deeper and go for it.

Plant some Sweet Purple of you can find some. It’s amazing. Grows as big as my thumb (I have big hands) and is the best tasting we grow. Super tender.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.