FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513099 times)

Badbrad2186

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3930 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:18 PM »
Covered all my flowers and flower boxes. Possibility of a frost the next few nights. Hope we don’t loose much. We’re not ready to see them go just yet.

Rg

I hope my pot plants don't see frost need another 3 weeks

oatkasut

« Reply #3931 on: Sep 18, 2020, 11:16 PM »
Grew my first two five gallon  sized buckets of potatoes this year. After 110 days with the plants looking dead and all brown harvested 3.5 lbs. from each bucket. Only problem was some skin scab with sizes from golf balls to softballs in size. They tasted great!Just watered them every day. Irish luck I guess. ;D ;D ;D

seamonkey84

« Reply #3932 on: Sep 19, 2020, 06:49 AM »
Getting cold at night, tying to get some peppers to ripen/survive a bit longer.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

gotagetm

« Reply #3933 on: Sep 22, 2020, 02:19 PM »
I salvaged the last of my tomatoes today ,plants dead from frost but alot of green tomatoes left anyone know a recipe for green tomato salsa ( not green tomotillos inhusk) I've had pickled ones but wanna try a salsa , I may just puree up and ad stuff to them and see what happens

filetandrelease

« Reply #3934 on: Sep 22, 2020, 03:28 PM »

Peppers are all I have left , they need to get just a little bigger

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3935 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:00 PM »
I salvaged the last of my tomatoes today ,plants dead from frost but alot of green tomatoes left anyone know a recipe for green tomato salsa ( not green tomotillos inhusk) I've had pickled ones but wanna try a salsa , I may just puree up and ad stuff to them and see what happens

Never tried it but someone once told me you can ripen tomatoes by wrapping them in newspaper, in the event you don’t find a recipe for the green tomatoes

filetandrelease

« Reply #3936 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:05 PM »
 I’ve ripened  tomatoes , in a paper bag with an unripened banana, but not a totally green tomato
 http://
The fastest way to ripen a tomato is by adding a banana to that breathable container. Bananas release the most ethylene gas of any fruit, so adding one into the mix will boost the level of ethylene in the container and speed up the ripening process. If you don't have a banana handy, an apple is a good second choice.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3937 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:38 PM »
My green tomatoes will head to the compost bin. Along with the other garden discards.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #3938 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Thx guys I accualy found recipes on line to core them puree them than add spices and peppers onions hot peppers cilantro and lime juice garlic and salt  gonna give it a shot all to taste

gotagetm

« Reply #3939 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I don't really wanna ripen them wanna do a green salsa , these are far from ripe

filetandrelease

« Reply #3940 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:50 PM »
 I tossed my green ones

gotagetm

« Reply #3941 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Plants and what's left will go in compost along with fish remains when I get out

filetandrelease

« Reply #3942 on: Sep 22, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Plants and what's left will go in compost along with fish remains when I get out
😜 don’t forget some pics of the kill 😉

Dirt23

« Reply #3943 on: Sep 23, 2020, 06:05 AM »
. Same boat here lots of greens left we're going to try some green salsa but also saw some good recipes for green tomato chutney that looked worth trying out

Pequod1

« Reply #3944 on: Sep 23, 2020, 06:27 AM »
It’s good to live within a couple miles of Lake Ontario.  I usually do not get a frost until mid to late October and the last two years not until the first week of November.  Everything is still green and growing.  The spring though, sucks.  That lake keeps us ten degrees colder than people living south of ridge road.
As far as ripening goes. It is actually caused by the production of a plant hormone ethylene gas.  In my former working life, I taught a week long seminar on plant hormones. It was a great lecture for people with sleep problems ;D
To be short, some fruits ripen when in contact with the gas including tomatoes. A green tomato is producing minute amounts of the gas so if you wrap in newspaper, the ethylene gets trapped and hastens ripening.  A better option is placing green tomatoes in a paper bag with ripe apples ( bananas would work too but would get too soft). Apples produce a lot of ethylene.
   You ever wonder why tomatoes are tasteless in the stores in winter.  They are picked green and kept in warehouses that pump an ethylene prohibitory in. Just before shipped, they pump ethylene gas in.  That doesn’t work too well for tomatoes but it does for other fruit.
  Anyone fall asleep yet?  If not, I can discuss hydrogen ion pumps and the cell wall structure of tomatoes. That really killed my students ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.