FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need Help with Info on a Bamboo Fly Rod  (Read 3148 times)

westernmas

Need Help with Info on a Bamboo Fly Rod
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I was recently given an old bamboo fly rod and I'm struggling to find information on the rod.  The rod is a Montague-Redwing.  The gentleman that gave it to me is well into his 90s and stated that he bought off a gentleman he was working with back in the 40s.  It is a 4 piece rod with rod tube and green sock.  I took a few pics the night I received it but will post a few better ones later today.  I was curious of where this was made (possibly Montague, MA?), when and perhaps a value on the rod.  It was never used by the gentleman that gave it to me and as far as I know was never refinished or had any parts replaced.  I'd like to make my repayment in the form of a framed picture with a trout that I caught using the rod.  However, if the rod is worth some exorbitant amount of money then it will be hung on the wall.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bogtrotter

Re: Need Help with Info on a Bamboo Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I inherited a similar make/model/era bamboo fly rod from my father.

It was so nice, he was always afraid to use it - - and even if I fly fished (which I don't) I would have adopted the same attitude.

Sorry I cannot help you with any guide as to what your rod must be worth, but my "impressionistic" understanding is "a lot."

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2019, 05:00 PM »
They're not unusual except in mint condition. Not really in the upper crust of bamboo fly rods. But..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Keep it as a memory. Or better yet, use it if it's in decent condition. Bamboo rods are each special in their own way.

I have a few.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2019, 04:20 AM »
When I worked for Orvis I use to deal with them a great deal. As said it was not a high-end rod, but it does sound like it is in good shape and the "lighter" the rod (trout vs salmon) the greater the value (on average). If it was me I would sell it, fishing a bamboo rod is very different than fishing modern rod... It is what is called "slow", some like that style (not me) and more power to them... Take a look on flea-bay and see what they are selling for, Best of luck!

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm going to hang onto it.  I'll get some line for it and give it a try at some point.  I also looked at it more closely last night.  Although the gentleman that gave it to me didn't use it, whoever sold it to him definitely put it to use.  I'm guessing that it isn't worth much more than a couple hundred dollars.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Whatever the case may be its a cool rod!  Thanks for sharing Pat.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:38 AM »
I've used them and love them. They seem to have a tendency to break tips off though. At least one of mine did. That may be way they usually come with to end sections?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Taxid, did you mean extra tip sections? They often did, but most that I saw were for different weight lines...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Better off keeping  it and using it occasionally. You'd be lucky to get $100 for it. 

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Better off keeping  it and using it occasionally. You'd be lucky to get $100 for it. 

Rg

Any insight as to what line I would use with it?  I emailed a local guide and he said a 8.5ft "medium trout" rod is probably similar to 5wt/6wt.  I can't imagine they were throwing weight forward floating lines on a slower action bamboo rod but I really have no idea.  I know there are double tapers and level lines that are older style lines but I have no experience with either.  The guide also said it would probably be more of a classic wet or streamer rod so perhaps the line doesn't really matter because I wouldn't really need delicate dry flies presentations or cast that far.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:38 PM »
If you have another fly rod and reel try that set up on the bamboo rod. if not take it to a sporting goods store that sells fly rods. They should have a weight set up to test what weight line your rod is suited for.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Taxid, did you mean extra tip sections? They often did, but most that I saw were for different weight lines...

They looked identical to me but it's been a long time so you may be right.

On a funny note I put a spinning real on one my dad owned, as a kid as I couldn't afford anything else. A couple older anglers were laughing in my but little did they know it was the forerunner of a noodle rod!  ;D. BTW I did some grinning of my own. Both of them were reeling in their lines with their spinning reels on top! I definitely knew better than that!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:26 AM »
Any insight as to what line I would use with it?  I emailed a local guide and he said a 8.5ft "medium trout" rod is probably similar to 5wt/6wt.  I can't imagine they were throwing weight forward floating lines on a slower action bamboo rod but I really have no idea.  I know there are double tapers and level lines that are older style lines but I have no experience with either.  The guide also said it would probably be more of a classic wet or streamer rod so perhaps the line doesn't really matter because I wouldn't really need delicate dry flies presentations or cast that far.

I use Cortland Sylk DT lines in my bamboo rods. They seem to suit the softer action rods better. I've tried many different tapers (I have about 30 lines in my collection) I'd probably go with the 6 wt just for ease of casting. As you said, you're not going to be making "hero casts" with that rod.

I'm not a big trout fisher so, others may have better advice.

Rg

westernmas

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:15 AM »
I use Cortland Sylk DT lines in my bamboo rods. They seem to suit the softer action rods better. I've tried many different tapers (I have about 30 lines in my collection) I'd probably go with the 6 wt just for ease of casting. As you said, you're not going to be making "hero casts" with that rod.

I'm not a big trout fisher so, others may have better advice.

Rg

Thanks Rg
Instagram @Patsquatch413

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:55 PM »
You're welcome. Have fun with it. Whomever the original crafter was, that's why he built it. For a fisher to enjoy.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.