FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Monroe Shad  (Read 1761 times)

urbancowboy

Lake Monroe Shad
« on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Hey everyone. I get antsy in the winter when I'm not really fishing: doing research, watching videos, buying gear, etc. Long story short, I bought a cast net thinking that it would be nice to be able to catch my own bait sometimes.
Does anyone know if there are significant amounts of shad in Lake Monroe? If so, any general tips on where or how to find them? I have a boat, and I've done plenty of research online, but I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience that might be helpful.
I know the tailwater at the bottom of the dam would be great (as evidenced by the year-round gulls there) but as of 2022, it's illegal in Indiana (https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/22INFW.pdf) to use a cast net within 500yds of a dam.

bigr

Re: Lake Monroe Shad
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2022, 06:48 AM »
Here on the upper resi's the shad die off in big numbers every winter. If your just looking to pick up cat bait i would think you could dip up dead ones alone shore either up in lake or below dam. They do make for great cat fish bait.

urbancowboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Good to hear, thank you for the response!

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2022, 07:21 AM »
Mississinewa has a big shad kill every winter which attracts large numbers of bald eagles.  From mid January to early March
it is possible to see dozens of them below the dam and along the road that follows the Missy to the Wabash.

fish on,

Rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.