FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Michigan ?  (Read 9327 times)

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
Lake Michigan ?
« on: Jan 15, 2023, 08:17 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out. Target species and having any luck ?

chicagill34

Re: Lake Michigan ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2023, 07:33 AM »
They're getting Perch in the slips on the shore. Not sure what the boaters have been doing.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2023, 04:09 PM »
They're getting Perch in the slips on the shore. Not sure what the boaters have been doing.
Thanks.

LundProv

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2023, 09:28 PM »
The big lake is offering a lot.  By now, we know perch to the west is common knowledge.  Lakers, whitefish, burbot are hanging around off the reef in front of the port.  I have not heard much about coho but just trolling around last week for 90 minutes or so with shad raps, I caught lakers and browns.  Not really table fare in my family but nice to catch, photo and release.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2023, 03:30 PM »
The big lake is offering a lot.  By now, we know perch to the west is common knowledge.  Lakers, whitefish, burbot are hanging around off the reef in front of the port.  I have not heard much about coho but just trolling around last week for 90 minutes or so with shad raps, I caught lakers and browns.  Not really table fare in my family but nice to catch, photo and release.
I appreciate the info Doc. It's crazy that we are able to launch a boat out there this time of year.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:21 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has been out. Target species and having any luck ?
h

Plenty of fish to be had on the lake right now. P.m. for details of your desired species
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2023, 07:12 PM »
Wanting to give coho a try but don’t want to spend a lot of money ,down riggers ,dopey divers.Can you catch coho just trolling your crank baits behind boat ,any help or advise

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2023, 11:09 PM »
Wanting to give coho a try but don’t want to spend a lot of money ,down riggers ,dopey divers.Can you catch coho just trolling your crank baits behind boat ,any help or advise

Absolutely!
In the spring, they are in shallow with the browns.

Get a couple dipsey divers.
2 rods with those and 2 more up higher with deep diving plugs on them.
Add some in-line weight to get things down deeper.

Good luck.

staubsaugen

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2023, 05:20 AM »
I run mostly flat lines with diving cranks; maglips, Jr. Thundersticks, thin fins, flicker shads. Orange,, red, gold, and firetiger are generally most productive colors. Was out yesterday and motored up to Cook from New Buffalo. Only managed 4. Waves picked up more than predicted and made a short trip shorter with a slow ride back.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2023, 10:47 AM »
I run mostly flat lines with diving cranks; maglips, Jr. Thundersticks, thin fins, flicker shads. Orange,, red, gold, and firetiger are generally most productive colors. Was out yesterday and motored up to Cook from New Buffalo. Only managed 4. Waves picked up more than predicted and made a short trip shorter with a slow ride back.

Have you been to the Oliver Lake chain yet?  I used to get some nice trout (both bows and browns) before the stocking began. Then I couldn't keep the stockers off my hook and it was quite annoying.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2023, 05:37 AM »
Was on Oliver once this past fall and managed 2 trout trolling. Might try to get out again before they stock it

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2023, 12:04 PM »
Was on Oliver once this past fall and managed 2 trout trolling. Might try to get out again before they stock it

Don't be afraid to target big browns close to the bottom with live bait drifting. Historically when the browns were more plentiful we used to connect with some big ones close to the bottom vs. suspended. A 9 pounder was taken last year on the bottom in Olin on a dead chub which I posted here.

https://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=80137.0
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2023, 03:09 PM »
Anyone find gold today?

LundProv

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2023, 09:30 PM »
This morning was pretty bumpy out there and my friends who typically go stayed on shore.  The afternoon shaped up and tomorrow looks like a banner day.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2023, 02:19 PM »
Anyone find gold today?

Been fishing them for a month or better
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.