FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash River fishing  (Read 1609 times)

bigr

Wabash River fishing
« on: Jun 24, 2019, 06:20 AM »
The Wabash has been high and muddy all year for the most part. That's makes for some very good fishing this time of year if you know where to look. I've been hitting the mouths of the bigger creeks where the high water has backed up into the clear running creek. That blend area has been very good for several weeks now. You never know what you'll hook since the fish are coming in and out of the river. Crappie made up most ofthe early success and now smallies. Walleye and Sauger have always been in the mix but showing up in good numbers now as well as bigger fish. On occasion you hook the unusual. I have caught 5lb Strippers that have made there way up the river i've even caught white cat fish. You don't see a lot of Kentucky Bass(spots) in my neck of the woods but I always get a few, some very nice ones. Last evening trip was a good one. In just a couple hrs of fishing I lipped maybe 50 smallies a few nice crappie and two 18" walleye along with a 18" sauger. A small baby o chart/orange crank was the preferred choice. Don't be chased away because of high water. Search out those creek mouths and slack areas. When you find the right spot you'll find fish stacked and hungry. That spot will likely produce for yrs when the conditions are right.       

bigr

Re: Wabash River fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:38 AM »
You will have that zzzzzzsnap happen from time to time. I agree most of the time its a big cat. They know right where to go when hooked. Either back into the jam or back to the current of the river.

bherr24

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Was doing good on walleye and sauger a few weeks ago where the rivers join in logan. Then the eel got muddy too and that ended the fun. Best trip i had was 2 sundays ago. Limited with 5 saugers and one walleye in an hour and a half. All on twisters casted slightly upstream and retrieved slowly as the current moved it downstream.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Was doing good on walleye and sauger a few weeks ago where the rivers join in logan. Then the eel got muddy too and that ended the fun. Best trip i had was 2 sundays ago. Limited with 5 saugers and one walleye in an hour and a half. All on twisters casted slightly upstream and retrieved slowly as the current moved it downstream.
Conditions hopefully will get right again. Pick up where you left off.

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:21 PM »
After checking todays reading from the corp of eng the Wabash/Salamonie connection looks just right. Large amount of water coming from roush and almost nothing from Sally. Just like the creeks the Sally will get backed up and fish will stack in that first hundred yards or so. I'll know by 3pm today. Old pair of jeans, wading shoes. metal stringer, hat with all my lures is all i'll need. Hot day out and cool water, throw a few fish in the mix and it will be perfect. Report in the morning. All are welcome to join.   

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Looking forward to the report. I have wanted to fish the rivers all spring but this rain has chased me away. 

Is there parking on the Salamonie side?  I usually park in the road that goes to Lagro but that obviously won’t work considering the situation

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2019, 05:34 AM »
The river was not quit perfect for wading. The Wabash was up atleast a couple feet higher than hoped so I was forced to fish further upstream in the sally. I cast a suspending husky jerk most the hr and half I fished. Water was a decent enough color but alittle dirtier than ideal. I ended up catching five very fat smallies all around the 14 inch mark, acouple hickory shad, two drum and one ky bass. Several other hits and short hook ups. Very comfortable wading. The way to go would have been a kayak or canoe slid into to dead calm water and that would have put me right into the area I felt held the eyes and majority of fish. As I looked downstream I could constantly see feeding activity on the surface. Keep an eye on the discharge from the Sally. The corp will surely open the gates up soon, likely today. When that happens that location wont happen. Back to the creek mouths until the river totally drops. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.