FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Need a new fishin' pole  (Read 1210 times)

rivereddy

Need a new fishin' pole
« on: Jul 01, 2019, 03:29 PM »
At long last the local river has returned to decent levels.  Fishin' pard' and I put the canoe in and began chucking top waters at the local smallmouth population.  It turned out to be one of  those days.  On my third cast, my spook got popped and a dinker tried to go all airborne on me.  My next cast yielded zilch as did every cast for the next hour and a half.  Unusual for him, pard got skunked. As we returned to the launch site,  we passed 3 boulders that broke the flow and created a small eddy.  I fired a jig right on target and promptly got "snagged."  We paddled over to the rocks, but when we got there, the line had  moved about 10 feet to the left.  I felt the pull of something really heavy.  It reversed its path, ran under the canoe and headed down stream with us in hot pursuit. A few minutes later we were directly atop of it and it decided to come up and see what all the bother was.  I was eyeball to eyeball with a doormat sized soft shell turtle with a nasty attitude. Now, on a short line, it again shot under the canoe and with a pop, my high end spinning rod went snap about 4 inches from the tip.  Turtle got away, (thankfully), and instead of a medium lite action I've got a medium action "turtle rod"....some morning.

fish on,

rivereddy

natahka72

Re: Need a new fishin' pole
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Well told story and very funny!!

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2019, 03:22 AM »
Well told story and very funny!!
I HAVE BROKE A FEW GOOD ROD TIPS AS WELL. THIS IS WHY I ONLY BUY ST. CROIX OR LOOMIS RODS. THEY HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTY. I HAVE SENT A FEW BACK AND HAVE BEEN SENT OUT A BRAND NEW ROD. JUST PAY THE POSTAGE. CANT BEAT THAT, IMHO. LOL

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Been there done that. What I have found is the high dollar rods are very good for the most part but almost all have the problem of easily breaking the tips. I'm rough on rods and fish hard. I have found a Berkley pole holds up to my beaten and also has a life time warranty. I paid high dollars for a Bass pro rod and have broke the tip twice. Still a very good pole for bass fishing just a foot shorter than new. I wouldn't buy another.   

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2019, 08:22 AM »
The rod was a St Croix  Premier -  6', 2 piece, medium lite action.  I have already spoken with the folks at Park Falls and am getting a new tip section to replace the broken one. I know they get a bad rap, but I don't have any issues with
2 piece rods.  A lot of my fishing is coincidental with travel and they pack better.  On the bright side now I have the
equivalent of a "2 barrel gun set" .  One tip will give me a ML action and, with a new tip top on the broken piece, I have a medium action to go after that soft shell for round 2....

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.