FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Registration Delemma  (Read 4559 times)

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
Boat Registration Delemma
« on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:19 PM »
I can't find the Vin# nor do I have any old registration for it....how am I supposed to register it?? :'(

Terasec

Re: Boat Registration Delemma
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:26 PM »
i dont know about maine procedures, but can tell you how i did my 10' bass boat without VIN# or paperwork
first was getting a Hull ID #, in NY, marine bureau of local police issues HID's,
they came to where my boat was and issued a HID# and embedded a plate with that # on my boat.
with HID i was able to register it,

without a registration/title
i had to use a "statement of ownership" which i got online from my DMV

one hitch i had, since i didnt know how old the boat was, clerk didnt know what year to put down,
and a few managers and phone calls, he was told to use first year of registration,
so even though its 10-20 yr old boat, according to paperwork its listed as 2009 boat

maine will have different terms for their docs, but might have something similar as what i went through

saltyshores

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Given that your boat has no VIN or ID number at this time, I believe Me. Fish and Wildlife will issue you a number and you will have to install that number somewhere in/on the hull, just as if this was a homemade boat that you had made.

If you can call Maine Fish and Wildlife at 287-8000 and ask for someone in boat licensing, they should be able to tell you the proper procedure. I've had a couple ID numbers issued in the past.

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:52 PM »
does it still have a maine state hull number on it. they should be able to track it down with their own number system ::) back 20 years ago i registered an old aluminum canoe, made up everything, manuf, model, length, serial number

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Given that your boat has no VIN or ID number at this time, I believe Me. Fish and Wildlife will issue you a number and you will have to install that number somewhere in/on the hull, just as if this was a homemade boat that you had made.

If you can call Maine Fish and Wildlife at 287-8000 and ask for someone in boat licensing, they should be able to tell you the proper procedure. I've had a couple ID numbers issued in the past.
That's exactly what they said.  Go to the town office and fill out a Vin# request form and send it in with the Registration....now I need to come up with a make of the boat....whats a common one?

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:54 PM »
does it still have a maine state hull number on it. they should be able to track it down with their own number system ::) back 20 years ago i registered an old aluminum canoe, made up everything, manuf, model, length, serial number
Since it has never been registered in my name they will not do that!!  :-\

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2011, 03:07 PM »
If you know the reg. number, it can be traced. Boat & snowmobile numbers always stay with them, regardless of how many times it has changed hands. Once they find that number, you'll have the make & year of the boat.

When you register your trailer, don't do it at the town office, go to Augusta. You can register up there for five or ten years @ $5 a year. They will issue you a "Semi Permanent" plate. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

saltyshores

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Some boat brands that have been around for a long while are: Starcraft, Mirrocraft, Crestliner, Alumacraft, Lund  for aluminum boats

Nor Easter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2011, 05:07 PM »
now I need to come up with a make of the boat....whats a common one?
Post a pic or two and we can make an educated guess. Does the corner brackets or bow brackets have an emblem on them such as a 5-sided star (this would be a Starcraft)? Or any other marks or signs which you can find? Example, a flying Eagle over a sun or moon is a Grumman. Logos, bosses, emblems, look hard for a clue or just call it home-made.

If you know the reg. number, it can be traced.
Nope. Just went through this same thing with my 14' project. It was last registered in '86 and the town clerk said that was too far back to be on record. So we filled out a VIN request form but we put in the same numbers that were already on the boat. So far so good.

Mine is definitely a Starcraft as per the emblems on the sides but the remaining history is lost other than my online searching of an identical boat which was rated for a 40HP motor, so this is what we are going by although I registered it for use with an 18HP.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2011, 06:05 PM »
If you know the reg. number, it can be traced. Boat & snowmobile numbers always stay with them, regardless of how many times it has changed hands. Once they find that number, you'll have the make & year of the boat.

When you register your trailer, don't do it at the town office, go to Augusta. You can register up there for five or ten years @ $5 a year. They will issue you a "Semi Permanent" plate. ;D

FYI
Not anymore. They did away with that several years ago. No registration numbers unique to the machine, just a registration sticker with it's own set that change every year.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

greensider

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »
went thru this tell them its home made bring them picts they will give you a number then you get a set of number stamps and put that number on the boat

bee

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Just launch it and go fishing.
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

Nor Easter

« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2011, 07:20 PM »
BTW,
It's been about a month and I have  not received my serial #'s from the State yet. The clerk said just keep the receipt until I do to prove I'm legal.

I have a small engraver/etcher for marking tools and equipment, and some sheet and thicker stainless I've been making trolling spoons (Murray type) and rudders with. I'm planning to make a small plate to rivet or screw to my newly built transom once I get the serial numbers info (which is law as I'm told). I think I may have some letter and number punches somewhere also,,, and may go that route considering my hand writing is atrocious!  :-[ 

Adam,
If you want/need one for your boat, let me know and I'll make one up at the same time and mail it to you. There was a post on IS with a link to a site where ID plates were offered for sale with your name, addy etc engraved and were intended for ice traps or other purposes. On brass if I recall correctly and the price was VERY reasonable. I saved the link but cannot find it ATT. If anyone remembers where or can link to the thread/post, I'd appreciate it if that someone would post it or lead us in the right direction.  :)

1fish@atime

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Looked at your boat pics....looks like a Starcraft, they had the rib that runs the length of the side on them. I think Cristcraft did as well.

maineduckhunter

• Alaskan King Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Looked at your boat pics....looks like a Starcraft, they had the rib that runs the length of the side on them. I think Cristcraft did as well.
Hey thanks!! My buddy said the same thing and he said mid 70's!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.