FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just wondering the general feelings of other fishermen and women.  (Read 3325 times)

1fish@atime

The state and county stocked the Hudson river here the week ending 5/3. They put some rainbows, some 8-10" browns and some 14-18" browns. Question is, for the last week people have been making numerous trips to the stocked locations to catch and keep as many of these fish as possible. I live right across from one. Not uncommon to see a truck there at 7am, leave at 9am, come back at 12 noon, leave again at 2pm only to return at 5pm and fish until dark. What would you do seeing this? Report them, or just let it go as most of the fished stocked in this river don't survive. The rafting industry with a Dam let out everyday has stripped the food sources from the river.
Just wanted to get others thoughts, not start arguments!!!
(A few people bring the kids around to catch a fish, a wonderful thing. Success breeds enthusiasm, and gets the young ones into fishing.) 

mealworm

• snoogan
well me personally i try not to keep any stocked fish it would be nice if the stockies were givin a chance to grow and if people are catching there limit leaving and comingback to do it again that same day i say call the tipp line i hate the fact that some anglers are selective and try to preserve our fisheries and some keep every single fish they catch c'mon let them grow a little

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team

1-800-TIPP-DEC
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
make the call ...... ;D
If your not fishing , your not living

Natty

Report it..................It's probaly not the only place there doing it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
take some truck pictures, and make the call. your regulations guide has numbers for your local officers too.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

52niner

Ya what pooley said, Make sure your date is time stamped on your camera and pic that guy. No one cares if he came down and caught a limit once a day. Who could do anything about that, but what he is supposedly doing is against everything that most of us stand for. it's something we would all like to do , if it were legal but the fact that it's not just makes him a selfish tool.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

kayak2fish

Report it. If they are doing it there, they would probably be inclined to do it in some small mountain pond where it could really harm the fishery.

sandypossum89

The thing with letting the fish grow bigger is that lots of the streams and rivers that the state stocks are not considered a put-grow-take fishery the trout that are stocked are what the DEC considers a put-take fishery that is that they know that the stream cannot support trout year round for any number of reasons so when they stock it one year they know that the following year there will be no trout what so ever left in the stream, from your description of there being limited food it seems that DEC knows there would be no stocked fish from previous years......as for a person comming back throughout the day to catch there limit multiple times i stand somewere in the middle yea its not the right thing to do but the fish are gunna die regardless...and i would think it to be prity difficult to prove without alot of pictures/evidence :-\

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
Is it legal in your State to make repeated trips to catch repeated limits in the same day?? If not then help protect the disrespect of your local resources. Dial the digits, and maybe snap a photo or two for proof and assistance to your DEQ/DNR :tipup:
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

TR19

Just to play devils advocate here.
Unless you see him leaving each time with his limit, there is nothing DEC will do about it. Who's to say that he isn't there at 7:00 am and catches 1, goes to another spot and gets skunked and comes back to the earlier spot. It's the same thing as running and gunning on a lake.
The reason I'm saying this is because I'll take my son trout fishing and we'll hit a spot, leave and come back to it later to let the fish rest.

Now if you see him leaving with a limit of fish in the morning and then he comes back for more, take pics and call DEC ASAP !!!

crappie smokin

i agree with tr19  i often do that or even go for lunch and come back

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Not for nothing but once he eats a couple of them you will probably never see him again, those socked trout turn out like bad mashed potatoes no matter what way you cook them in my opinion.

On the flip side of that i doubt the guy is even eating them. I would lean more towards a bucket biologist and stocking a little spring creek near his home or a pond.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

esox v

I would investigate further before throwing them under the bus.    AND JUST FYI.....  I am biting my tongue on the Whitewater release thing.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
I can never understand what someone gets out of catching and keeping stockies. Most of the time, you could probably catch them on a cigarette butt, and I've been told that they taste just like the liver pellets they feed them at the hatchery.
Everyone has their own version of "fishing", I guess. Just like everyone has their own version of "hunting".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.