FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling advice  (Read 3741 times)

blackbetty

Trolling advice
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:14 AM »
Hello, I am heading up north to Cauchomgomic lake early next week for some salmon trolling. I don't get to head out too often so I am hoping you guys will share some info to help me dial things in. I was just wondering what colors have been working and on what types of lures.  I know that is a pretty tall order but any help would be nice. I plan on using Mooselooks, Huss lures, weeping willows and maybe some flatfish or rapalas in the bubbles.  All fish are to be released unless they are beat up too bad. The lake is a little north of Lobster, so I figure they are a few weeks behind the major southern lakes. thanks to any responders.

gamefisher

Re: Trolling advice
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Black Betty - I can't offer you any specific advice on Caucomgomoc although its one of those lakes I have always meant to get and just haven't made.  There are some big salmon and togue taken there I do know.  Whenever I fish a new pond, there are a few things I do or look for before I get there to help get a general idea on where to start.  For instance, if it was me knowing nothing specific about the pond, I would concentrate on the south shore areas around and between Hubbard and Black Point.  Points and shoals are great, winter or summer, because they mean bait which in turns means fish.  Also, being the south shore, it will be the shore where all the feed is being blown into this spring.  I really approach trolling with an imitate vs. attract mentality.  Start out with your grey ghosts, black ghosts, nine - three's, rapalas, suttons, etc. and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, think about your bright weeping willows, orange pink lady's, mickey finn's, etc. and see what happens.  Once you find the area the fish are in, you'll be in good shape and start to develop a plan of attack for that body of water.  Just as a super general statement, no lure has caught me more spring salmon than an orange weeping willow at 2.2 mph and no fly more than an orange pink lady at 2.8 mph.  Although never at Caucomomoc, I can't see why they wouldn't work there.  A couple of colors of lead or a sinking fly line and you should be in business.  I am a huge fan of a nice fluorocarbon for my leader, 20ft or so.  Take my ramblings for what you will.  No matter what, you'll be in some great country and not working so how bad could it be!  You are going to be on the back side of a full moon so it will definitely be a little slow no matter what at the first of the week.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hoppes

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 07:35 AM »
Good advice gamefisher...  I did well with a Weeping Willow "rainbow trout" pattern also.  Will be up there first week of June as always.
Hoppes

THREECAR

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:29 AM »
could'nt have said it any better - good stuff !
Easterly still sucks

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Hey thanks guys - I very much enjoy the giving and taking that goes on within MFF, especially us Mainers.  We are so fortunate to live here and enjoy the great way of life we do.  So many good spots, so little time! 

slammer6500

• The official trolling flag..............I'm on!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:00 PM »
SEW SMELTS........PERIOD.........OR SHINNERS.....AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS.....KEEP IT UNDER 1.5 MPH :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
From the great words of Les Claypool of Primus............\"FISH ON\"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 04:18 PM »
SEW SMELTS........PERIOD.........OR SHINNERS.....AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS.....KEEP IT UNDER 1.5 MPH :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
[/quo
te]
i don't think there is too ma ny bait shops at the caucomogomoc lk let alone anything but fish and a big lake

windwalker

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Last time I was To Caucomgomoc, we stayed at the horse race camp site. I don't remember a boat launch, for the wife and i pulled in a 20' canoe. Great place, real wild. The fly of the day was called a Grant Laker. Once you hit that big point, the wind hits you. On the turn back down wind, bang another salmon on.  after about 6 your but is beat. Back at the horse race, your hammering trout and salmon on a thunder creek marabou. Try one week there and then go to Alagash and hammer Brookies up to 26". What a vacation. ONLY IN MAINE.  Good luck Blackbetty, bring your wife. ;)
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

blackbetty

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Thanks Gamefisher, I've got nothing but respect for people like you and others on this forum that are willing to share tips to a stranger. Ive only fished the Gomic once before and I was basically limited to the North end due to having a 8 hp motor and 14 foot alum. This year Ive got some added HP and a bit bigger boat so I can head to the south end. Not expecting much production with the moon and the wonderful weather we've been having. Didn't realize Seattle was moving to the east coast. Will be picking up some DB smelts to try as Ill be heading right through Millinocket, so I can stop at 2 Rivers. What the heck, I may have to stop at the watering hole in Medway for a little local show.   :o :o :oI'll let you know how things work out. Thanks to all.

gamefisher

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 02:00 PM »
     The weather and the moon will have an impact, no doubt.  I plan what few away trips I get now (two little kids) always around the new moon and am rarely dissapointed.  I'm heading north myself May 25 - 30 accordingly.
     P.S. Black Betty - a stop at the La Casa on any hunting or fishing trip up that way is mandatory to say the least....  got to get those priorities straight B.B.  ;D- have a great time up in God's country!   

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 07:28 AM »
say hello to my sister if you see her..... :w00t:
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

blackbetty

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Left Hand, Is your sister the one with the snaggle tooth? She'll do anything for a quarter! Gotta love the talent up there.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Left Hand, Is your sister the one with the snaggle tooth? She'll do anything for a quarter! Gotta love the talent up there.

thanks for reminding me!! hey bluefin...ya still owe me fifty cents  :P
Scotty 

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 03:50 PM »

Its a classy place,  my sister used to work there about 3 years ago, and I'll never let her live it down... she does have a snaggly tooth but I think she'd ask for more than a quarter.... ;D
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

fiddlehead322

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Quarter goes a loooonng way in them parts. :o :-*

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.