FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Square Lake and Cross Lake Info  (Read 3068 times)

chillywillie

• Team Maine
Square Lake and Cross Lake Info
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I'm headed up to fish Square and Cross on Thursday for five days.  Does anyone have any advice on good spots to try?  Also, is anyone in the Presque Isle area selling smelts?  I know there is a small store down the road from the launch at Cross, do they sell bait?  I've icefished Cross, but this will be my first time open water fishing up there.  I'm assuming the water is starting to warm up a little so they should be shallow and on top?

Thanks, Jim

olbluuu

• Go Big
Re: Square Lake and Cross Lake Info
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:26 AM »
going with the buddah end of week been to long once did well for 1/2 day 5 years ago should hookup we're camping out first nite then hotelling it sun mon and tues nites staing in sinclair.pm us we'll hook up

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Cross is a reletively shallow pond (I believe 40 something feet at its deepest) so fish should be scattered all over the pond by now. 2-3 colors or some Cortland 333 should do the trick nicely.  Good luck.  Can you say BUGS.... 8)

JDK

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:48 PM »
I don't fish Square very much but a friend of mine does.  He said the surface water temp has been in the mid-high 40s (same on Long by the way) and the fish have been shallow.  He has been very dissappointed with both the size and number of fish thus far this season.

Jules at St. Peter's Store (Cross Lake) sells live bait but I'm not sure that he has live smelt.  I think he freezes up a bunch and sells those.
# SAND

mayfly

• so little time ,so many fish!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:22 PM »
mouth of the thoroughfare coming from cross into square , huge flat to the left looking at the water coming in. that flat out to the point on the left . as well as the shore to the right ;)

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Hopefully I'll have some nice pictures to post next week.

salmon44

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:23 AM »
I stayed at the Austin Cabins on Cross Lake last memorial weekend and at this time last year the St. Peters store had live smelts.  I was impressed with how large those smelts were compared to what you get in Southern Maine.  I fished pretty hard for 2 days covering all of Cross and some of Square.  Fishing was slow but I did c & r a 3 1/2lb. salmon right in front of the Cross thoroughfare were everyone anchors.  Nice area, hope to get back there again.  Have a great time and good luck.........

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 07:06 AM »
spoke with st peter himself last nite says hehas plenty of smelts available doesn't think he'll run out through the weekend should be good for fishing.he has pond chubs too. he doesn't open til 630 am "no earlier "he says but open til 7-730pm

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Awesome ;D

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:49 AM »
try to leave us some bait.......... and fish in the lake!good luck!

JDK

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 07:49 AM »
If you are on Long wave to a guy in a 16 foot with a 20 Evinrude and a golden retriever.

Good luck.
# SAND

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 11:27 AM »
the fish were running about 10ft. down on eagle yesterday. temps at 55 on the surface. eagles been terible this year. no salmon and very few togue. fly fishings been good in the rivers though. hey jdk i might see you on long sun. gonna go give her a try. ill be running a 14ft. alum. w a new 15hp johnson. ill be around the sporting club area. ill keep a eye out for ya.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

olbluuu

• Go Big
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 12:43 PM »
jack buddah and olbluuuu wil be fishing long sun mon tues and wed -15 bluuu lettered white hulled starcraft with 45 merc staying in sinclair starting sunday nite be on square sat and sat nite into sunday goodluck!!

deerhunter

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 02:01 PM »
i will be staying at eagle june15,16 and17 jacksmelt. wiil you be up for some fishing? i,ll have my 18 fter.

jacksmelt

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 06:15 PM »
you staying at the overlook? pm me before you come down and ill meet you at the boat launch the morning youre goin out. meantime ill see if i can pattern them. tight lines!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.