FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Northern Indiana Lakes with best chances for pumpkinseeds?  (Read 2917 times)

taxid

I got a couple of leads from a person on this board, an INDNR biologist and a professor off the board. Many thanks!

Anyone else have any leads on lakes or other bodies of water in northern Indiana that I could get a few pumpkinseeds, more than just an incidental catch along with bluegills? I'm not looking for big ones or a lot as I just need enough for some research on reproduction and selective breeding that I want to put into a small pond on the property. I've been told by the INDNR I'm legal as long as I get them by hook and line and I have a fishing license which I do.

If somone keys me in on a good location I'd be happy to have you come and harvest monster bluegills, trout, and yellow perch when they are ready for harvest -- by hook and line of course.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Blueultra2

Re: Northern Indiana Lakes with best chances for pumpkinseeds?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:46 PM »
I only wish I knew of a place......

coho33

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:18 PM »
There was a pond called round lake it is in Laporte if you took 421 north towards Michigan City just be for you get to Purdue University there is a road that took a hard left off of 421 ,I don't know the name of the road but you take that road until it t's then go left it was up a little ways on the right back in the woods. there was a man that lived there and he charged like 5 dollars per person to fish it and he had a few boats there you could use. we use to catch huge blue gills and pumpkinseeds out there. It has been about 6 or 8 years since i have ben there. I don't know if you can still fish it or not ,it would be worth checking it out.
HERE FISHY FISHY !!!!

coho33

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20 PM »
I'm sorry that is a hard right off 421
HERE FISHY FISHY !!!!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:42 PM »
There was a pond called round lake it is in Laporte if you took 421 north towards Michigan City just be for you get to Purdue University there is a road that took a hard left off of 421 ,I don't know the name of the road but you take that road until it t's then go left it was up a little ways on the right back in the woods. there was a man that lived there and he charged like 5 dollars per person to fish it and he had a few boats there you could use. we use to catch huge blue gills and pumpkinseeds out there. It has been about 6 or 8 years since i have ben there. I don't know if you can still fish it or not ,it would be worth checking it out.

On a list provided by a local biologist a lake called Round Lake in Stark County had the highest percentage of pumpkinseeds collected in a survey at 347 which was 20.3 percent of the fish surveyed. Could this be the same lake? Unfortunately that was back in 1983 and population dynamics may have changed.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinmajician

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51 AM »
I have been catching pumpkinseeds pretty regularly on the St. Joe river by Baugo Bay. Although it has been about a week since I had a chance to fish I am sure they should be very willing to bite now.I have been fishing about 6 feet deep casting out and dragging worms along the bottom as I slowly jig the worm back to the boat. I plan on fishing Tuesday and Wednesday and will post some pictures .

Edge

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Caught 5 nice ones on Clear lake last Friday.

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:03 PM »
I know of a private pond that has hybrids in it.

FISHAHOLIC-19

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13 PM »
There is a stream that comes out of Ridinger lake that has a lot of punks in it.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Thanks guys. I got plates and stickers for the boat today and I'm headed to a lake five minutes down the road called Sparta lake tomorrow. If it pans out I can make several trips and it's small enough (only 31 acres) so I won't have to deal with jet skiers and  power boats. It's going to be windy though which I hate but I'm running out of time. I do know it's not a very productive lake so maybe it doesn't get fished too hard.

The following info from biologist Jed Pearson seems to indicate it may have a reliable population of pumpkinseeds as in two surveys 22 years apart the PS abundance was about the same.

bluegillpeffley

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 11:32 AM »
PINE LAKE LAPORTE IN  huge pumpkinseeds

taxid

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:36 PM »
I fished Sparta lake today that turns out to be only 2 miles down the road. Brought home 24 gills for eating but only managed to get this hybrid pumpkinseed which is not what I am looking for.

I've decided to get my pseeds from a New York hatchery in the fall. In reality if I am serious about starting a selective breeding program I need 200 fish for good genetic diversity. A few here and there isn't going to cut it. I do know the hatchery started from a good number if fish so I am good there.

Thanks for all your help!

When it's time to take out fish from the ponds in a couple of years don't be afraid to contact me!

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 04:59 PM »
how many what size. they abound in the stretch between bristol and mottville and i'll just have the kid fill up the livewell with'em and drop them off on the way home as i drive right by your place. (most are 4-6 inchers)
A

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 05:29 PM »
how many what size. they abound in the stretch between bristol and mottville and i'll just have the kid fill up the livewell with'em and drop them off on the way home as i drive right by your place. (most are 4-6 inchers)
A

Thanks Bronzeback but it's too late now. I moved 6 big male and 9 female broodfish bluegills into the spawning pond and will try the pumpkinseeds next year. I was worried if I waited to long I wouldn't be producing anything this year! The biggest male was probably 1 lb. 3 oz. and as tall as he was long! If I put pumpkinseeds in now I'll have hybrids and I don't want that.  ;D

Much appreciated! If you want to fish my ponds later when fish are ready for harvest let me know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.