FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: RED EARS VS. BLUEGILLS  (Read 1851 times)

abishop

RED EARS VS. BLUEGILLS
« on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:49 PM »
IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS SITE THAT HAS DONE THE TASTE TASTE BETWEEN THE TWO. A FEW OF MY BUDDIES SWEAR THAT REDEARS ARE MUCH BETTER TASTING. UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE NEVER CAUGHT ENOUGH REDEARS TO KEEP THEM SEPERATE FROM THE REST OF THE DAYS CATCH OF GILLS. I NEED TO TAKE THIS TEST AND MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

portageredneck

Re: RED EARS VS. BLUEGILLS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2010, 09:53 PM »
taste the same to me....GOOOOOODDD!!!

Fishslayer81

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »
HOLY Thread starter lmao... and no I can't tell the difference between the two lol.
Gone Catchin!

Crappie Expree

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2010, 05:27 AM »
I can't tell between the two there all good to me.
Take a kid fishing!

rico

• Give me some lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2010, 06:46 AM »
There is no difference to me at the supper table.

princecraft

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2010, 08:10 AM »
I think it depends on the lake.  There is one lake I used to fish that the red ears had a muddy taste and the gills in the same lake tasted good.  We just always put the red ears back in the lake.

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2010, 08:24 AM »
Most of what I seem to catch is redears, very few real bluegills.  They taste fine to me.

abishop

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I know, I know they tast the same to me also, but I would actually like to take the taste test. Just what I have heard LMMFAO. Just my 2 cents.

lil-skipper

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:15 AM »
I know, I know they tast the same to me also, but I would actually like to take the taste test. Just what I have heard LMMFAO. Just my 2 cents.
  If you really would like to find if there is any difference in taste,I suggest baking or broilinng each without any batter on the pieces, then you can assure yourself of getting the full flavor of both,Hence, you will find out also if there is a difference in the amount of batter you use on your fish. 

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Don't worry about little taste differences. I just cook them and eat them. (I do see a difference between fish like trout, salmon, catfish, walleye/perch, striped bass, etc. and I may fix each a little differently.)  I do notice a difference in taste of wild-caught catfish and what you get in a resturant. Definately like wild-caught over farm-raised (my apologies to the fish farmers out there.) Just like there is a difference between wild an dtame turkeys, pigs raised in big barns and on the ground, chickens etc.

Sorry about the rant.

Eat fish and live well.

Get_the_Net

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I think it depends on the lake.  There is one lake I used to fish that the red ears had a muddy taste and the gills in the same lake tasted good.  We just always put the red ears back in the lake.

I agree it depneds on the lake and what the Red ears are eating for food.  In some lakes they eat more wigglers than snails.  When the eat alot of snails the meat from them gets oily and there is a slight difference in taste depending on how you prepare them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.