FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My Lake Erie Walleye taste very fishy!!!???  (Read 5156 times)

Steuben1

My Lake Erie Walleye taste very fishy!!!???
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:02 AM »
What to do?

Real disturbing cause I have never had this problem.  These are not big females or anything, just jacks that are 17" - 22" long.  I net them and bleed them out and through them on ice.  When I fillet them and zipper them and then put them in freezer bags with water in them.  Any ideas?

The walleye I catch in the winter time from Saginaw Bay taste just fine.  Any idea's guys?  I have 18 bags in the freezer and I hope some are going to taste better!

Thanks,

Steuben1

khaaxma

Re: My Lake Erie Walleye taste very fishy!!!???
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:10 AM »
Although it is unusual to get a walleye with a fishy smell there is a cure . . . either soak them in milk for a while or rub them with mayonaise before cooking. We sometimes have to do that with the large walleyes!
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

walleyeboater

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Soak fillets in salt water overnight. Unless I am eating them right away, I soak all my fillets, all speices. I have never bled any fish. I know that will start a DISCUSSION on here.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 06:23 PM »
walleyeboater is right... soak em insalt water if they are fishy. i dont know why they are as i have been fishing erie for the last 12-14 years have yet to hit that problem. idk maybe your not use to eating "nuke plant" fish. hahahahahaha.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

slabslammer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:32 PM »
walleyeboater is right... soak em insalt water if they are fishy. i dont know why they are as i have been fishing erie for the last 12-14 years have yet to hit that problem. idk maybe your not use to eating "nuke plant" fish. hahahahahaha.

Lol !!! Stop keeping those sheephead !!!!!

abishop

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 07:00 PM »
I noticed the same thing. If you look at their color you may understand why. They are greyish and not golden. I thought it was just me. IMO they are like eating carp. Not that I ever did just my 2 cents.

northrn-duck-assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:14 AM »
Al-
the eyes will golden up as the water warms. but the bigger ones will also move east at the same time, kinda sucks.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.