FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Filleting catfish.  (Read 8354 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Filleting catfish.
« on: Sep 05, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I have never caught a catfish of any type before, but would like to someday.
I have just a few lakes and river systems where they can be found and if I caught a not bad one would like to keep at least one to see what they are like.

I am wondering how do you guys fillet your catfish?
Do you fillet them like most other fish, {pike, walleye and the like} or do you skin them first and then remove the meat like we do with the burbot? ???

The main catfish I probably would find would be the channel cat.

WW

Aeaglos

Re: Filleting catfish.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2012, 11:53 PM »
My method:  I cut around the head completely following from pectoral to dorsal, then use pliers to remove the skin. I then fillet them as normal. I lose a little bit of meat, but it's a perfect cut for fish and chips.

They are a great eating fish!

FIRETRAP

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Filet them like a trout. Cut around the head and make cuts down the spine on each side. Then work your thumb and knife toward the belly around the rib cage. Filet behind the ribs toward the tail like other fish. Then you have a filet and remove the skin like any other filet. I cut off the gray meat just like trout. It's oily and gamey and supposedly where all the contaminants are stored.   I do bass the same way and you don't saw through the ribs and guts.

315stickbow

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I do mine like burbot

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2014, 11:53 AM »
i start at the back of the head, skin it, and then basically cut the meat off the fish.

davidcox

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I think this guy has to hold the record for cleaning a flathead:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

slipperybob

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2015, 12:37 AM »
I filet them like any other fish.  I generally prefer keep from around 18-24" fish.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2015, 12:19 PM »
i usually keep them a bit smaller because they don't get very big around here, biggest i've caught is 4 lbs. so i keep the 1 and 2 lb fish.

if you do keep a bigger fish and want to fry it, i'd recommend cutting the fillet into steaks, it takes a long time to cook a large fillet and it will soak up the oil if it's in there for too long. it makes the fish slimy and pretty much overpowers any flavor from the fish or seasonings you use. if you cut the fillets into steaks they don't take as long to cook, and will come out firmer and much tastier

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.