FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone prepping for the soft water yet  (Read 4472 times)

muskyon46

• Just passin on a family tradition
Anyone prepping for the soft water yet
« on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I put the trickle charger on the boat last weekend and found myself looking at some of the new products for bass and musky sportsmans had on an endcap a couple days ago

Crappielover89

Re: Anyone prepping for the soft water yet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:49 AM »
i sure am...i bought an inflatable pontoon from sportsmans and i love it... put a motor on and i love to go troll at powell for strippers and walleye with it.... its silent and small to get up little coves and get the crappie and gills too...

muskyon46

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Sweet, i to just aquired a toon last fall. They are fun. Its hard for me to justify the motor on it when i have a boat that i have to register already. Dont want to have too many registrations to pay for. On that note what do they charge to register toons with a motor?

Crappielover89

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Sweet, i to just acquired a toon last fall. They are fun. Its hard for me to justify the motor on it when i have a boat that i have to register already. Dont want to have too many registrations to pay for. On that note what do they charge to register toons with a motor?

i pay $30 or $35 so not anyhing that makes me not want to do it.... I'm doing a makeover on my main one this year adding a swivel bass seat and i made a deck already but i want to make it bigger so I'm doing that and adding a travel rack for gear on river trips or a cooler to put fish into. i love my toon more than our bass boat it can go everywhere and is light easy transport  quiet cheaper to run and if i wanted i could put a little gas motor on it but that would take away from the quiet.

muskyon46

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Ya thats not to bad, sounds like some good upgrades your putting on there. Quiet is always nice. I use my electric on my bass boat more than anything

Crappielover89

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:28 PM »
ya its amazing how far tech has come these days and how much power and all the cool upgrades like i pilot you can get in the electric motors.

muskyon46

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Those i-pilots are awesome, just wish i had the coin to drop on one. I've been saying for the last few years as soon as my electric goes out im getting one. Only problem is the dang motor wont quit and its the stock one that was put on the boat when it was built in 89. I really want a new one bad, its only a 27lb thrust and does the job as long as its not too breezy

Crappielover89

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:18 AM »
ya i feel ya i cant justify $1200 for a motor when i could out it towards my boy. i have a 34 lb on my toon and it works for now haha.... that's a long life on a motor... 23-24 years and still running if it was me i would be happy as can be with that brand..... is it a Minn kota? what are you going to put on it when yours does go out..... 55lb thrust?

michfish

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:54 AM »
yep sure am getting the soft water ich. i poured 100 1/32 once tube jigs for crappie painted and baked them. now i a looking at a small skiff like a 1236 or a 1436 alumacraft jon to do some fishing out of. on some of the smaller lakes around here. i already got a 2.5 hp mercury i can use.  thinking the jon or a good kayak would be easy to transport from spot to spot. strung all my reel with new line bought a new steel head reel  a mitchel 300xe and am getting a lot of snow right now that is a mix of sleet and water ...so only time it will be before the lake open up most likely are open now with the watery snow mix we just got.     

muskyon46

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:00 PM »
ya i feel ya i cant justify $1200 for a motor when i could out it towards my boy. i have a 34 lb on my toon and it works for now haha.... that's a long life on a motor... 23-24 years and still running if it was me i would be happy as can be with that brand..... is it a Minn kota? what are you going to put on it when yours does go out..... 55lb thrust?

Dont know on the brand i think its a minkota ill have to look, Its definately going to be a 55lb. and i should be dang near able to plane out with that much more thrust  :rotflol:

yep sure am getting the soft water ich. i poured 100 1/32 once tube jigs for crappie painted and baked them. now i a looking at a small skiff like a 1236 or a 1436 alumacraft jon to do some fishing out of. on some of the smaller lakes around here. i already got a 2.5 hp mercury i can use.  thinking the jon or a good kayak would be easy to transport from spot to spot. strung all my reel with new line bought a new steel head reel  a mitchel 300xe and am getting a lot of snow right now that is a mix of sleet and water ...so only time it will be before the lake open up most likely are open now with the watery snow mix we just got.     

You definately have been preppin michfish, i have been toying around with the idea of pourin my own jigs and possibly making some plastics, just dont want to take away from time on the water. When i retire i think i will definately be doing it.

Crappielover89

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Don't know on the brand i think its a minkota ill have to look, Its definitely going to be a 55lb. and i should be dang near able to plane out with that much more thrust  :rotflol:

You definitely have been preppin michfish, i have been toying around with the idea of pourin my own jigs and possibly making some plastics, just don't want to take away from time on the water. When i retire i think i will definitely be doing it.

ya you should 55lbs is a lot..... is it easy to make your own plastics and such? never seen it done and have always wanted to.... does it take long?

michfish

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:08 PM »
it does not take long to melt the plastic down you could use your microwave to do it. you could take your old one and smelt them down the soft plastic that is in the mircrowave just got to be carefull not to burn it stir often lol's. lee production pot sells a plastic melting pot made only for plastic's same with lead pot. i have an old hearters lead pot my uncle use to use. for reloading. it not hard but when you retire get in to it.  it saves lot of time. best thing to do is by the stuff now casue when you retire it get more expensive on you trying to afford new stuff. like a new cars and etc.. was  a pain for my father when he retired he was lucky to have bought his table saw he uses all the time. any ways best of luck how you get in to it... 

muskyon46

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Sad to say but i put all the ice gear away yesterday and have started prepping the boat for a good soft water season which will not be long. Temps in the 60's this weekend and the tulips are already 3-4in tall in the flower beds. Time for some soft water walley fishing  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: come on open up willard  :bowdown: :bowdown:

fishon1

• lets go fishing
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Out here in cedar city I should of brought my fishing gear o well well be hitting the water soon   

muskyon46

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Yes you should have taken some gear just in case, never can be to prepared when it comes to wetting a hook  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.