FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This past week  (Read 1120 times)

tater140

This past week
« on: Aug 15, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Now that softball season is over i'm back into my wednesday evening/night fishing trips again for the fall.  I had a chance to get out Wednesday for some bluegill action.  I started out in one of my favorite fall spots.  Typically the fish are schooled up pretty tightly in this area over deeper water.  I was fishing 20-24 fow, but the fish weren't schooled up but rather I found them scattered out along the bottom.  The fish were there but were a little tight lipped.  If finessed they could be talked into biting.  We caught about half our fish before dark and half after.  Ended up with 23 nice gills and a jumbo perch.  We were fishing slip bobbers and wigglers deep, and also using ice rods and vertical jigging with flashers.  I didn't get any pictures after, but did take a couple action shots.

I got back out looking for a walleye early Saturday morning.  We went down to the Huntington dam at 4:30 am trying to get one before daylight.  Only caught some trash fish and a pair of nice smallmouth.  The water is pretty low in front of the tank.  I suspect the fishing may be better down stream. 

So yesterday I decided to see if the Stryker suit floats.  I'm pretty sure the kids thought I had lost it when I walked out the garage in my ice fishing gear.  As I pulled the gear out the closet I realized how bad they stunk, so it was good to get them washed up a bit.  The good news is the suit floats great.  When I hit the water I popped right up to the  surface.  One thing I did realize was after floating around for a while the suite really felt heavy and water logged.  I would maybe have some concern about the added weight when trying to pull yourself out onto the ice.  Just some food for thought....

Jig_Head

Re: This past week
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2016, 01:47 AM »
It's fun using the flasher in open water. Nice smallie

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.