FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash Area report  (Read 766 times)

bigr

Wabash Area report
« on: Jun 16, 2017, 08:45 AM »
I've been anxiously watching the discharge rates from all three upper resi's that for the most part determine river level. My guess is if we don't get much heavy rain the Wabash as well as Salamonie and Missinnawa below the dams will be very fishable by mid next week. For as long as they have been up the fish should be stacked in good numbers below the dam and a person could wade or float with little problems. The Wabash which is my go too for eyes and saugers should also be in good shape for fishing. Again for the first time in a long while. My largest Walleye was caught last year on July 3rd so big fish will still be around. Water color is actually not bad and will only get much better fast. There's not been the normal algae bloom that causes some discoloration because of all the fresh water from the rains. I'm excited to get back in the river for what I expect to be good fishing. I'll keep you all updated.

bherr24

Re: Wabash Area report
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Water had been so muddy around here  that i had to take up catfishing a couple times lol. Finally was clearing up good this past wednesday and i fished near where the wabash and eel come together.  My catch consisted of 1 drum, 5 smallmouth, 1 gar, and 6 crappie.  I also lost a giant fish after a long battle in which i was nearly spooled. Hook came out as i was pulling the fish back to me across the top of the water.  Have no idea what it was, may have been an asian carp that was snagged or a big catfish. Havent had much luck on walleyes recently.  As of yesterday the eel had muddied up again.

rivereddy

Re: Wabash Area report
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Fished a tailrace with a buddy last Saturday.  The discharge rate was twice what I normally consider fishable, but my bud got a rare day off so we joined the
crowds.  Actually did fairly well.  We caught a nice mix of walleye, crappie, and white bass by drifting dead minnows through slow spots in the raging currents.

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.