FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing vacation in NH - Help  (Read 3719 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Fishing vacation in NH - Help
« on: Oct 09, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Hey all,

The wife and I have been heading to West Alton in June for the past few years fishing for Smallmouth and Largemouth but the house we rented is now no longer available. I tow my Triton with me and the house we rented had a private beach and dock which was great. I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for either a new lake or even a place to stay to do it again this upcoming June. I enjoy the action the Smallmouth provide so I am looking for something similar. I know bike week is June 9'th - 17'th this year so we would either go the week before that or the week after. This will also be our first trip with the little guy which is currently 10 months old.

The catch is my wife has to put in for next years time off within the next 48 hours so we have to decide what week we want asap. We still have some time for the rental but the sooner we can commit the better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

Re: Fishing vacation in NH - Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:47 PM »
Big Squam Lake has some really good smallmouth bass fishing, and some nice rentals. If you look around you can find a reasonably priced place there.

bikrsrule

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Same can be said about Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro, great smallmouth and I am sure plenty of rentals

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I am looking at both right now. Looking at the lake I seem to favor Big Squam a bit more with all of the islands for Smallmouth.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 04:55 PM »
I have not been to wentworth, but big squam is beautiful. If you do go there be careful. That lake eats props, and lower ends. A friend of a friend blew out his lower end there two weekends ago.

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I suggest squam as well...check out vrbo.com...if not Belgrade lakes is really nice and plenty of largies, smallies, and pike to be had and really not far from portland
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Does Squam have jet skiers flying around?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2017, 11:30 AM »
How about Merrymeeting Lake? Can anyone advise how the fishing is and would be in June vs Winni? From what I have read its the cleanest lake in NH.
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2017, 03:47 PM »
How about Merrymeeting Lake? Can anyone advise how the fishing is and would be in June vs Winni? From what I have read its the cleanest lake in NH.

Merrymeeting has some very nice fish in it. I haven’t bass fished there in probably 15 years, but we used to go up and troll for salmon early and then switch to bass once we were tired of catching nothing trolling. I think the lake is absolutely loaded with baitfish so the fishing can be tough, but in my experience you get nice ones when you put the time in. My PB largemouth came out of there when I was like 12 years old. Just over 22”.

Locals are also very friendly at least in my experience. MM has a nice little marina, and they used to have a “town store” on the lake which I loved as a kid. Fishing was never the priority, but I remember having good times up there on vacation as a kid.

jibbs

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:49 AM »
The smallmouth disappear in the summer but if you can find them they are amazing ..very limited largemouth..to be honest I never seen one caught..we just did a tourney there and 16 lbs won for 5..if you end up going there send me a pm and I will send you some spots
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2017, 09:15 AM »
Does Squam have jet skiers flying around?

Am considering Squam this summer. Just want to know as I avoid lakes with them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I'm guessing I won't get an answer? Because I'm out of state?

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:47 AM »
I'm guessing I won't get an answer? Because I'm out of state?

That's not it. Not many guys here this year especially now with hunting season going on. Stayed at Squam a few years ago right after Labor Day. Didn't have a problem with jet skiers because it was at the end of the year. I would get a place on the upper end away from the boat launch and marina.

Hottuna5150

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:49 AM »
Skicraft were banned from Squam in the 80’s

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08:40 AM »
That's not it. Not many guys here this year especially now with hunting season going on. Stayed at Squam a few years ago right after Labor Day. Didn't have a problem with jet skiers because it was at the end of the year. I would get a place on the upper end away from the boat launch and marina.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I have run into the "out of stater" mentality on other websites. Glad to see it's not here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.