FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good day on the water  (Read 1045 times)

bogtrotter

Good day on the water
« on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:42 PM »
The recent rain has definitely improved the fishing action.

I had to work a pierogi bee this afternoon, but I managed to sneak in about 2 hours on the South Hoosic, from around 10 AM to 12 noon this morning.

It was sunny, blue skies, 59 degrees and the water levels were up from last weekend.

I started a little above the Burnett/Bednarz Bridge in Adams and fished downstream without getting any hits until I reached just above the Old Stone Mill bridge, whereupon I was lucky enough to catch a 12" rainbow that  I just barely (and I do mean barely) managed to lip hook.

I kept heading downstream and did not have any other hits (other than drifting leaves) until I reached the little falls below Elm Rock, where I hooked another fish that I suspect was the 13" brown that I caught  in the same run last weekend. 

However, if it was the same fish, he had definitely smartened up since last week.  The brown that I caught last weekend was hooked, escaped and came back five times until I finally caught him on the sixth try.  By contrast, the one I hooked this morning shook the hook and just disappeared.

I back tracked upstream to my car and drove even further upstream to Cheshire Harbor, where I fished just below the dam. 

There, in relatively short order, I landed another 12" rainbow, a 9" brown and a 9" brookie.

Then it was off to my pierogi-making duties.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Good day on the water
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Nice job on your short trip.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Way to end strong!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2017, 03:41 AM »
Way to get out Jim.  Its definetly leaf run season!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Yeah, the season may be winding down, but that doesn't mean that the fish aren't biting.

I fished a section of the Chares River in Dover, specifically targeting carp.
Spent a few hours soaking my bait before I decided to head home.
While I had already pulled one rod, and was casting to some active pickerel in an attached old beaver pond, I look back to see my rod bent and line screaming! I picked up the rod, tightened the drag and "tried" to haul the fish in.
(I say haul, because that was the only way I could get any line back from this fish.)
After watching the line move perpendicular to where I was, as the fish swam downstream, as it actually pulled drag from my tightened reel, I watched as it swam right into a fallen tree branch and popped the hook.

Now I've gotten some real big carp from this river (I'm talking in the 20-25 lb. range) but this particular fish felt like non of the others.
Even as I tried to get it to turn I could feel the strong tail pumps and knew I lost a big fish, but I still had fun!

I may even try again next weekend if the weather is agreeable...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Fishermantim:

I wonder if you hooked into a pike.  Do they even have them on the Charles?

In a related vein, what were you using as bait?  Most guys that I know who target carp use some version of corn - - although I would not expect a pike to strike corn.

Whatever it was, it certainly sounds as if it was a monster.  Definitely worth going back for.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2017, 01:53 PM »
There maybe a big ole stink log or 2 in the Charles!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I was using canned corn.
I've gotten various fish on corn, including carp, sunfish, golden shiners, trout, catfish and a couple of big snapping turtles (which were hooked as they swam by my line).

I know there are pike in there, but they are very elusive fish, and probably would ignore the corn.

As for the quality of the water, it is NOTHING like it used to be.
I've fished sections that are still dumping grounds (like the trailer park in Dedham) and areas that have been reclaimed by nature (which is about everywhere up-river from that trailer park). On any given trip I could see beavers, muskrats, deer, coyotes, many species of turtles, many species of water birds and a variety of raptors that visit that waterway.

I also fish the Sudbury River, and it is just as good.

What many people fail to understand is that most of the rivers in this state are muddy bottom waters, so the water will ALWAYS appear to be "dirty".
They can keep thinking that way, and leave the waters and the monster fish that inhabit them to those of us that do fish them.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.