FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Downrigger Rod/Line Question - Braid  (Read 4350 times)

ericbres

Downrigger Rod/Line Question - Braid
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 07:44 AM »
I inadvertently purchased braid for my 2 rods I use on my downriggers (fish solely on Winni, but all spring and summer). Long story short, I was heading up to NY for some salmon fishing and took those rods - figured I'd replace the line while I was up there.

I DID spool up the braid, but before I remove it - is it going to be ok to just leave on these rods come trolling season next year? (assuming I'll just use a fouro leader)
I thought I read somewhere here that braid doesn't work very well with the releases on the downriggers? But I can't find anything in the search.

Again, just wanted to check with the group before I took off and tossed all of this line off 2 reels. Thanks in advance for any input.

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
Re: Downrigger Rod/Line Question - Braid
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2017, 08:44 AM »
I've only ran braid off of dipseys. I do know if there are sea fleas around braid is NOT the way to go. If it doesn't pop out of the releases I would guess you should be fine in the early spring.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2017, 08:48 AM »
Here is the release we use.  The white clip is the lightest tension, made for walleyes and lighter game fish.  And we use braid.
I have all my downrigger rods strung with Cabela's 15# Power Pro.
We use it because it's simple.
I have Roemers, like em, but prefer the pinch pad style.
Each to their own.
We twist the line 3-4X and pich the pad over the twisted section.
We can load the rod with a decent bend.
The rods are 8.5' medium weight downrigger trolling rods.

I have read multiple times here and elsewhere how guys have trouble running brain on downriggers.
We NEVER have trouble, even with the lighter tension white releases.

BTW, we run the heavier black ones in Lake O in the spring for browns.  (and one white).
Also, if you are running Roemers or Chaimberlins the results should be even better.  IMHO

Good luck.
Mac

ishoot308

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2017, 10:43 AM »
I don't know about downriggers but I use only super-braid on my inline rods with my otter boats with a pinch style release and it works great! Not sure why it wouldn't work with the same style release on a rigger...

Dan

ericbres

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Well, from what it sounds like I am glad I asked. Would have hated to throw away all of this brand new line.

I do have 2 of the flat Canon-style releases (only black) that Mac Attack has shown, and I use 2 clip-style (sounds like what Dan mentioned above, they are modified "roach clips" that have rubberish sleeves over them. Look goofy, but they were given to me and they work like a champ).
So I'll keep everything as-is and see how it goes in the spring.

My only real knock on this line from my time with it catching salmon in NY is it has almost zero "give" - so for a rookie like me, that meant a few lost fish. But, I'm still learnin'. And I certainly was able to pull some monsters in that had fought their way past fallen trees, rocks and docks that I think a lesser line would have broken off for sure.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2017, 02:08 PM »

My only real knock on this line from my time with it catching salmon in NY is it has almost zero "give" - so for a rookie like me, that meant a few lost fish. But, I'm still learnin'.

That's why we use 8.5' rods and good level wind reels with a decent drag.
Lake Ontario salmon have hard rubber mouths.
They will break off but typically never throw the hook when the hook is set home real good.
Steelhead have tough mouths too as they get older.
But the younger ones will throw a hook.
But with walleye they can throw the hook if you jerk them around too much and take forever to get them into the boat.
They have very soft mouths and if we horse them the hook hole in their mouth gets enlarged making it easier for them to spit the hook.
No rod pumping when reeling in a walleye.
And the drag has to properly adjusted.
Take your time but get them into the boat asap.

I really don't use anything but braid these days.
On all my rods.
I will use a 20-25' leader of flouro tied onto the braid for my inline boards.
On the downriggers we will clip a short 6-8' leader to the braid.
We do this for invisibility, but I'm not totally convinced this is needed when you are trolling.
Especially when the ball and bait is 50-100' down below the boat.

Jigging for walleyes in 10-15' of gin-clear water............maybe.

Have fun.

Mac

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:34 AM »
no stretch isn't an issue in the lake where you can run soft rods and light drags, and the fish can't run you into anything.  Most guys run stainless wire line with their dipseys and there is zero give in that. I ran braid on downrigger and planer rods this year with no issue.     I see a lot of guys complain about braid and downriggers/releases...if thats really an issue, just throw a topshot of 50' of mono.    I love braid simply because it lasts for years.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:02 AM »

I love braid simply because it lasts for years.

Yes Lance!!
Exactly.
Mono and flouro both get damaged by heat and ozone.
Unless you put the stuff in a chest freezer it degrades by the day.
Yes, braid will (eventually) rot.
But it will easily last 5+ yrs and the breaking strength stay pretty much the same for long periods of time.
In the long run, it pays for itself.
I buy 8#, 15# and 20# in large bulk spools.
8# goes on all of my jigging rods.
For perch, smallies, or walleyes
15# goes on all my trolling rods.
And 20# goes on my dipsey rods, catfish and pike rods, and all my saltwater rods.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Very similar here.   6lb fireline or nano for the lighter spinning rods, 8lb fireline for medium spinning.   15lb power pro for heavy spinning, trolling, catfish floats and light casting.  30lb power pro for medium casting rods 65lb power pro for flipping sticks and frogs rods, and saltwater popping rods.  80lb power pro for the tuna stik.

still have mono for some applications: ultra light trout, egg sacs for steelies, float fishing trout/steelhead, cat fishing, carp fishing, crankbaits, plastic worms.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:13 PM »

still have mono for some applications: ultra light trout, egg sacs for steelies, float fishing trout/steelhead, cat fishing, carp fishing, crankbaits, plastic worms.

This is where I tie on a flouro leader.

I'm thinking of going from the 8# to 6# for my jigging rods when the spool is empty.
Because the braid is so darn strong................ and thin.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Braid would work excellent in Chamberlain releases. I use mono with a flouro leader but I may switch to braid to have less stretch.

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:39 PM »
What about rubber bands for the releases the band's pop and are disgareded and new are used..  just a suggestion?? Here is some links to them..

#14 light rubber bands I suggest.
https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=61&zenid=bbc16c863fc6ce43496c8735fc4cb480

#10 for large salmon steel head.. of the great lakes.

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=112&zenid=bbc16c863fc6ce43496c8735fc4cb480

stguy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Braid would work excellent in Chamberlain releases. I use mono with a flouro leader but I may switch to braid to have less stretch.

I run braid on my down rigger rods and use Chamberlain releases.

The only thing you have to do different is give the line 6 or 8 extra twists, the braid is somewhat slippery and will pull back through the release.

The braid does make a big difference in the amount of blow back.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I need to order up some 15 lb Power Pro, I'm going to put it on my downrigger and trolling rods for this season. Mac.. any specific colors you like to use for any reason? I guess I was going to get either white or red, probably white if no one has any suggestions.

JDK

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:20 AM »
I use both mono and braid and both have their place depending on what you are doing. My go to are ML or L rods with linecounter reels filled with either 12 or 15 pound Trilene Big Game and topped with a lighter leader. You’d have a hard time convincing me that there are better options for landlocked salmon, trout, or togue here in New England.  From iceout in-line boards to big boards to downriggers it just plain works. BG is cheap, abrasion resistant, and lasts. I typically get 2-3 seasons out of it on rods stored out of sunlight

My braid rods are set up for very specific purposes and they work but they aren’t used in my day to day fishing as I do not like the no stretch even with light drags and soft rods. YMMV
# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.