FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My new set up  (Read 1643 times)

ICEHOLE

My new set up
« on: Nov 03, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Pretty excited about my latest project I just completed. I would post pictures but after photobucket scam I haven't figured it out. I put an Ad on craigslist looking for a free non working chest freezer. 2 days I had a guy a couple miles from me with one to take. After lots of brain storming, I came up with the idea to use an Igloo water cooler and turn it into a "swirl" filter. I wanted it in an insulted container for winter time as it will be outside. I got it just right and XJbob and I already put about 2 dozen goldens in it today. Here's a short clip for inspiration :thumbup_smilie:
https://youtu.be/mYs4f_-uwt4
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

manitron

Re: My new set up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Looks good Matt. That water is moving quick!  :clapping:

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2017, 05:43 PM »
I have a working chest freezer you can have.
It's not plugged in but it does work.
Come and pick it up.
Near Buffalo airport.

Mac

Update 11-3-17 - I don't follow this thread really, so PM me if you want the freezer.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Looking good.  We need the weather to cool down.  I'm itching for ice fishing.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Nice! 

ICEHOLE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I have a working chest freezer you can have.
It's not plugged in but it does work.
Come and pick it up.
Near Buffalo airport.

Mac

Update 11-3-17 - I don't follow this thread really, so PM me if you want the freezer.

Very nice of you, however I already have one and thats a haul from me. Thank any how!
Looks good Matt. That water is moving quick!  :clapping:
Almost 800 gallons an hour!
I will be ready for some Western mass pike fishing this year instead of spending time trying to locate the gold. I spent lots of last winter bait fishing, trying to learn

!  I finally got all my filter media together last night (lava rocks, pot scrubbers, batting material) and its clearing up nice..my only concern is the submersible pump giving off heat itself, dead of winter is ok, but today the water temp was in the low 70's! Golens dont seem to mind tho!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2017, 01:06 PM »
There ya go Matt.  I did the tank thing for a bit.  Felt like I had a second child.  Then I switched to 100% dead baits aside from one musky trip and caught less but much larger!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:46 PM »
There ya go Matt.  I did the tank thing for a bit.  Felt like I had a second child.  Then I switched to 100% dead baits aside from one musky trip and caught less but much larger!

I hear you, I have been an aquariast for about 15 years...I have spent lots of time and money over the years, learning, adding, improving, and even failing. I hated science growing up but keeping a tank is very much being a type of chemist. It can be a lot of work, but I have learned if you do it right the first time, once you complete the nitrogen cycle its minimal effort. In fact I have a 75 gallon tank i have been running for last 10 years and I only clean every few months (if that :sick:)and every test comes back perfect every time. PH levels, ammonia levels, nitrites, nitrates, alkalinity, and water hardness. With bio filters and the right substrate my water is always 100% crystal clear and balanced even if its "dirty". Hoping to apply my experience to this and save myself hundreds this season! f

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Its a labor of love.  Growing the right bacteria to get rid if amonia and nitrate.  Very cool and wicked effective once setup.  Ill be looming forward to seeing a pic of the first slob you land on those goldens.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.