FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Buoy at the Chu?  (Read 1538 times)

stripernut

Buoy at the Chu?
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 04:47 PM »
So, does anyone know what is the story with the Blinking Bouy off of Davenport Point (or thereabouts), I would not think there were enough boats out at night to warrant something that big...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Buoy at the Chu?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2017, 02:21 AM »
i saw some boats around it the other morning

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Maybe they were pulling it for the winter...

james1981

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:31 PM »
  Well if its the same as the Q, They do go out at night to chase birds away specifically gulls that pollute the water.  You should see the navigation in the DCR boat at the Q its pretty impressive to run full tilt in the dark. 
 It also could be a water level indicator to estimate capacity, I just am not that familiar with the operations at the Chu.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2017, 05:50 AM »
You should see the navigation in the DCR boat at the Q its pretty impressive to run full tilt in the dark.

That is my point, the guy motoring around the Chu should not need a blinking buoy and if they did is there more out there on everyone of the many "sholes"? I have only seen the one...

CMD1987

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2017, 06:12 AM »
There are two huge orange blinking "buoys" at Wachusett. They monitor water quality/ relevant meteorological conditions - for the water supply side of things. Nothing to do with fishing or navigation. I think they are big floating weather stations basically. Also, for bird control at Wachusett they shoot off these flash/bang sort of things from shore - usually around the rook area. Scares me, seems to do the same for the birds.

manitron

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2017, 06:55 AM »
There are two huge orange blinking "buoys" at Wachusett. They monitor water quality/ relevant meteorological conditions - for the water supply side of things. Nothing to do with fishing or navigation. I think they are big floating weather stations basically. Also, for bird control at Wachusett they shoot off these flash/bang sort of things from shore - usually around the rook area. Scares me, seems to do the same for the birds.

Thank you for the clarification. I had been told the same thing by a friend but it was second hand info.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:26 AM »
THANKS! Just the info that I was looking for!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:24 AM »

We were eyeing a similar setup on Lake George yesterday. 

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:36 AM »
they took out the one near rt62/70 across from the courthouse
burp
soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

CMD1987

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 05:56 PM »
Interesting, must take them out before the freeze