FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cod in the harbor yet?  (Read 2844 times)

porkpiehat

Cod in the harbor yet?
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:52 AM »
Will be my first season cod fishing...the only thing i've heard of relatively in shore is President's Road, but I don't know if the time of year is right. Anyone currently cod fishing?

stripernut

Re: Cod in the harbor yet?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I would think so we got them inshore (under a mile out) all years long...

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Some reports of a few around the westport area but not sure about the harbor.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Where are you located?

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:03 PM »
President's Road is Boston Harbor...

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Yes they would be in this time of the year.
Nut Island Hough's neck
Would you do north shore? Salem Willows pier, Beverly pier, Plum Island, Gloucester
Do not fish during a full moon. Its a waist of time.

s fontinalis

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I'm definitely interested in trying this this fall/winter. Do you usually target structure from the beach or just out in the sand/mud?

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Are you targeting by boat or shore. Out off Graves light you should find some. Keep in mind 1 fish only.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

porkpiehat

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Either. It would have to be pretty calm for me take my RIB out to Graves in winter conditions.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 06:02 PM »
I'm definitely interested in trying this this fall/winter. Do you usually target structure from the beach or just out in the sand/mud?
I

It doesn't matter the structure. If the bait is around they will be there and the way green crabs are all over the place , so shouldn't the cod be around.
Generally incoming tide is best but at Plum island I've caught them at low ,outgoing and incoming. In the river mostly incoming.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2017, 04:44 AM »
I have had great luck with cod all winter long (except for Feb. the ramp had to much snow), most of the time inshore. Think about going out of  Granit Pier in Gloucester and fishing the Flat Point area, I have gotten keeper only 100 yards from shore in the winter in that area. Often we have a hard time getting to the bottom thru all the macks and pollack. You might even be able to find some tautog if you try hard enough. If you are fishing that area and the weather turns out nice (before you keep your one cod) you can run to Jefferies (only 4.5 miles from the ramp) and on the Southern edge you can often find some nice keeper Polluck, Seaperch (redfish), cusk and for a little while longer you might see some tuna! You are likely to get haddock also, but that looks closed...

porkpiehat

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:45 AM »
thanks for the background everybody! I'm always stir crazy between Oct and first ice but now I have tog fishing in RI and Cod fishing at home to keep me obsessed year round

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I have had great luck with cod all winter long (except for Feb. the ramp had to much snow), most of the time inshore. Think about going out of  Granit Pier in Gloucester and fishing the Flat Point area, I have gotten keeper only 100 yards from shore in the winter in that area. Often we have a hard time getting to the bottom thru all the macks and pollack. You might even be able to find some tautog if you try hard enough. If you are fishing that area and the weather turns out nice (before you keep your one cod) you can run to Jefferies (only 4.5 miles from the ramp) and on the Southern edge you can often find some nice keeper Polluck, Seaperch (redfish), cusk and for a little while longer you might see some tuna! You are likely to get haddock also, but that looks closed...
[/quote
Alan I think it reopened on 11/1 for haddock.

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2017, 05:47 AM »
Sadly had to start putting the boat away yesterday... Next season!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Sadly had to start putting the boat away yesterday... Next season!
Yup I did that too. All winterized and wrapped for the winter. Haven't done the 16' aluminium yet though. Ya never know. Might try for Tog or flounder if the weather permits .
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.