FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is still open water?  (Read 1446 times)

LundProv

What is still open water?
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:26 PM »
This is Friday evening and the lake out back is froze to an extent.  Was wondering if Maxi is froze at all?  How about Stone?  Just curious as we are about to have a stretch of 40 degree weather and there may still be time to fish on soft water...

northrn-duck-assassin

Re: What is still open water?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:43 PM »
You are good to go out on maxi. Its one of the last to feeze.
its more than catching food, its also catching a piece of mind and integrity within

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:40 PM »
Went by Pine in LaPorte the last couple of days. Froze over completely now with snow on it. Hopefully it will thaw with this rain coming in and get some good ice soon. I am going to Wooster Lake at Potato Creek State Park right now for work. Will let you know tomorrow. I do believe even if Wooster is locked up, you coould go out on a fishing pier and break a hole. Try the one at the boat rental area.

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Wooster Lake at Potato Creek State Park is pretty much locked up except an area where geese are. There is still fishable water at the park if you know where to go.

LundProv

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies;  Ended up going to Maxi and was surprised to be the only boat/rig there on such a beautiful day.  The ramp itself was clear but Culver has more snow than Valpo and the perimeter around the ramp was about 3-5 inches deep.  I put the Suburban in 4 wheel drive to launch and retrieve and did stop for a few minutes to think things through.  It is amazing that as you get older, you stop and think more.  A few years ago, I would have just launched and never thought twice about the conditions or the potential consequences.  As far as the fishing goes, I fished the 20' break line as you enter academy bay and struck out there dragging perch rigs and listening to the Bears/Lions game on the radio.  Just before dark, I trolled with the Ipilot and ran a floating rapala on the outside two lines and a purple little ripper down the middle.  I think I blinked once and suddenly the middle rod was bowed and had a nice, chunky 20" walleye on and landed.  Was gonna release it but it inhaled the bait and was swimming sideways in the livewell.  So, I cleaned it and it will be part of dinner tomorrow evening.  It was cold out but clear and so beautifully quiet that I just moseyed along the shoreline down by the channels casting my rapala with no luck.  Again, what a beautiful night and a couple of times I thought I had a strike after dark only to find it was getting hung up on thin ice. 

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:55 PM »
MIssy is open down lake from the swimming beach.  Some cat action below the dam.

fish on,

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2017, 03:30 AM »
Nice report lundprov, There's more to fishing than just catching. Sounds like you had a great outing. I too enjoyed the weather and sun rise Saturday. Caught fish as a bonus. I'm hoping for a nice sunrise again this Saturday from the shore of the Missinnawa.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.