FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Non resident fishing  (Read 4224 times)

wshniwsfshn

Non resident fishing
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Just went on the Mass fishing website and noticed it’s cheaper to fish Mass NON resident $ 37.50 than it is to fish NH resident and they still offer free 70 and older license why is NH so overpriced

zwiggles

Re: Non resident fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2018, 03:07 PM »
It’s cheap entertainment in my book. Even if it was $500 for hunting and fishing licenses it would still be worth it for me. I know I spend more at the bar during the course of a year then I do on fishing/hunting licenses, and I don’t even like going out and drinking anymore.

If I had to guess why the cost is so high I would guess it’s because of the way F&G is structured in NH. F&G I believe is still independent, and because of this the cost of our licenses is higher. If someone has a better/more accurate rationale please correct me.

Roccus

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Just went on the Mass fishing website and noticed it’s cheaper to fish Mass NON resident $ 37.50 than it is to fish NH resident and they still offer free 70 and older license why is NH so overpriced
. the fishing in Mass sucks. ;D... why would anyone in New Hampshire want to buy a mass. license.. I buy one ( mass. resident) each year and use it to trap bait and catch a few puny tank scrubber rainbows.... I do my "real" fishing in new Hampshire and in Maine.. but thanks for spend  your money here.. I spend my share all winter in new hampshire ;D

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2018, 01:57 PM »
If I had to guess why the cost is so high I would guess it’s because of the way F&G is structured in NH. F&G I believe is still independent, and because of this the cost of our licenses is higher. If someone has a better/more accurate rationale please correct me.

This and because we have fund Search & Rescue, which is complete bullsh*t.  If S&R came out of the General Fund (F&B tax, tolls, etc) as it should instead of Fish & Game budget, licenses would be cheaper.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:34 PM »
. the fishing in Mass sucks. ;D... why would anyone in New Hampshire want to buy a mass. license.. I buy one ( mass. resident) each year and use it to trap bait and catch a few puny tank scrubber rainbows.... I do my "real" fishing in new Hampshire and in Maine.. but thanks for spend  your money here.. I spend my share all winter in new hampshire ;D

I do quite well for species other than trout when I'm in Massachusetts. Better than my state of Indiana.

I suppose your beef is that Mass manages their coldwater fisheries as put and take?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2018, 03:13 PM »
It may be because NH does more to maintain the reproduction of their trout populations than MA does.
MA doesn't care about maintaining trout, they just keep buying and stocking more year after year after year....
They even gave up on the Atlantic Salmon stocking program.

NH has even stricter rules and penalties regarding their F&G industry.

In MA, if you break the F&G law and just happen to get caught by a game warden (who seem as rare as a blue moon) you "might" get a warning or a small fine.
In NH, if you are stupid enough to break the law (and you WILL usually get caught) you WILL get a fine and suspension of license.

Take a guess as to which state takes their F&G industry more seriously?
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:31 AM »
I have lived and fished a great deal in both states and each has it pros and cons. MA has very few sustainable trout waters, so they are left with having to focus on put and take trout and they do a fairly good job at it. On average the trout they stock are considerably bigger than the trout that NH stocks. MA surprisingly does sell more resident fishing license; 2017 165,698, vs. NH  160,532. MA is a larger state and has a LOT more shoreline, that they need to do a much better job of patrolling... NH has much betters water for sustainable trout and does a better job of protecting those waters. Winni and other lakes like it are a real treasure for NH, but it is nice to fish Quabbin and not have some drunk in a little guy thingy boat, come flying by at some crazy speed.

I am happy to live in MA and be able to fish NH waters from time to time but if I could only fish one state (dread the thought) I would have to go with MA, just for the variety it gives; almost all the fish that NH has and the many different fish that you can get South of the Cape...
I am glad I don't have to choose!

For some interesting stats of states and license here is a PDF; https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/licenseinfo/Natl%20Fishing%20License%20Report%202017.pdf

swnoel

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Because NH has no income tax... so in essence you get the license for free!  ;)

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:39 AM »
That state doesn't get you with property and sales tax?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:23 PM »
This and because we have fund Search & Rescue, which is complete bullsh*t.  If S&R came out of the General Fund (F&B tax, tolls, etc) as it should instead of Fish & Game budget, licenses would be cheaper.

That’s what I remember being told to me before. Thanks

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 01:04 PM »

If Mass didn't have that awesome canal doodad I'd agree.

How's that Sunapee boat launch deal coming along  ???

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I live in RI and north for me is MA, then NH. There are a few hidden gems in RI but MA definitely has a few more options that I wish RI did. We do not have salmon, lake trout, or cusk in RI which is why I head "north". The saltwater fishing in RI is superb which is the only reason why I stay around these parts. As far as freshwater goes, NH is where I would be. Keep in mind I have not fished NY or much of ME so those three states are my only comparison.
Wicked Wec

james1981

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:33 AM »
 Two words,   Quabbin and wachusett reservoir pretty much the better of the lakes to fish for lakers, salmon and smallies.  But Massachusetts has better access to ponds I find. List of great ponds with legal access. Boat ramps tend to be a little better.

NH has better fishing and less pressure than mass. they do a decent job at closing seasons for trout, salmon to protect the breeding stocks. . NH is just as much a put and take state for trout as mass just because they stock more brookies doesn't make them native. As far as native trout go, mass does have them, and they are the best kept secrets in this state.

brownbagger247

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Overpriced? Can you compare apples to oranges? Few things cheaper in mass than NH don't worry we make up for it in taxes. People are always complaining over nickel and dimes to fish for a whole year, when you'd throw the same amount away at a bar in one weekend. Priorities.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Short money for the amount I use it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.