FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Setting up the boat to troll...  (Read 30943 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Setting up the boat to troll...
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:48 AM »

It's a single cyl.. am I going to go crazy with the vibration?

In short, yes.

Unless this motor is almost free, save the money, and save a little more and get a twin.

I've owned 2 singles.  An Evinrude and a Merc.
Both shook

Do it right.
You will be much happier.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:10 AM »

In short, yes.

Unless this motor is almost free, save the money, and save a little more and get a twin.

I've owned 2 singles.  An Evinrude and a Merc.
Both shook

Do it right.
You will be much happier.

I was afraid you'd say that. It's looking like about half of what I can get a comparable 8 horse 4 stroke for.

There is so much stuff to buy, but I guess this is really the most important thing for now.

fishlessman

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:23 AM »
mines a 6 hp 4 stroke single evenrude, its not bad on my fiberglass and wood eastern, but it will rattle an aluminum.  i could handle the noise for a year til i found the right motor. if you found an 8 it would be a good test to see if you want to upsize or downsize it when you upgrade

Jethro

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Yeah, well I am still going to look at this 6 horse today. It's way cheaper than anything else I am finding out there. This aluminum boat is 2500lbs boat, motor and fuel, so I am going to try and live with it. I'm getting a great deal, so I don't think I'll lose any money if I sell in a year.

stguy

« Reply #34 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:06 AM »
My 2 cents worth...and it may not be worth 2 cents.

Run the bags with the big motor and start looking high and low for an 8 or 9.9.....I looked for a year and ended up getting a brand new extra long shaft 9.9 Honda with electric start for 200 bucks.

Got it from a guy that stores boats and was junking a few sails boats that people hadn't paid rent on in a few years,  I removed the motor and gave him the 200 bucks to cover the cost of scrapping the hull, we were both very happy.

The motor was under a dog house on the boat for 7ish years and started on the first pull, had to change the water pump impeller, but oh well!! :D

I fished out of a 1976 19' Mako with a 115 2 stroke Erude  for a few years, it would burn about $20 in gas in a long day, I think that's pretty cheap entertainment.

boondox

« Reply #35 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Is it a 2 cycle or 4 cycle  aka a 2 stroke or 4 stroke??

If it's short shaft 2 stroke I bought this when gander let them go for 70% of the price 179.99 so I paid $60 for it.. I could let it go it's not mounted yet..  lol's have not had time.. if not I might run a short shaft 2.5 hp I have  or a 5 hp I got to find on our 16 foot aluminum sea nymph.. just got to get a tiller bracket for it.. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Auxiliary-Outboard-Adjustable-Motor-Brackets/700685.uts?slotId=4

Mac Attack

« Reply #36 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Yeah, well I am still going to look at this 6 horse today. It's way cheaper than anything else I am finding out there. This aluminum boat is 2500lbs boat, motor and fuel, so I am going to try and live with it. I'm getting a great deal, so I don't think I'll lose any money if I sell in a year.

Geoff -

Make sure it has an alternator and that the shaft is long enough.
The cavitation plate needs to be in the water, but not necessarily below the hull.Before you go look at the motor go measure your transom height where you intend on mounting the motor.
A really good deal is worthless if the prop isn't in the water.

Good luck.

Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #37 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:34 AM »

If it's short shaft 2 stroke I bought this when gander let them go for 70% of the price 179.99 so I paid $60 for it.. I could let it go it's not mounted yet..  lol's have not had time.. if not I might run a short shaft 2.5 hp I have  or a 5 hp I got to find on our 16 foot aluminum sea nymph.. just got to get a tiller bracket for it.. 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Auxiliary-Outboard-Adjustable-Motor-Brackets/700685.uts?slotId=4

He doesn't need this on his boat Boon.
He has plenty of room to mount the kicker on the transom next to the big motor.
These brackets are needed if the boat is an I/O
His is an outboard.

I've used them many times over the years and they simply get the kicker too far back and away from the boat for my taste.
Used them on outboard transoms and I/O transoms.
On an I/O no way around using one.

I don't care for them because it increases the chances of getting your downrigger cable or fishing line caught in the motor (don't ask).

Jethro

« Reply #38 on: Mar 30, 2018, 12:57 PM »
So anyway, I bought it.

It's a 4 stroke and a long shaft, I did measure before looking at it and I think the long shaft will be the correct one- if not, hopefully I won't need an XL shaft (did I mention this boat is BIG?) I really want to avoid using a bracket. Everything I read says I am not supposed to trailer with a motor attached to a bracket, so that is no good for me. I have enough to deal with at the launch.

My 2 cents worth...and it may not be worth 2 cents.

Run the bags with the big motor and start looking high and low for an 8 or 9.9.....I looked for a year and ended up getting a brand new extra long shaft 9.9 Honda with electric start for 200 bucks.

I will keep my ear to the ground about an 8, 9.9 or even a 15 Pro Kicker, but this deal was very good and I'm happy. I have heard nightmares about trolling on my 150 Merc carb model. If it was injected than possibly but apparently this carb model tends to really build up and be a problem when you want to run it. I came really close to buying the bags, but I remote camp for two weeks out of the year, miles from help or cell service, so I really would like a backup motor as well that isn't electric.

Jethro

« Reply #39 on: Mar 30, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Geoff -

Make sure it has an alternator

Oh and Mac, it does have an alternator. He gave me the wiring harness. It's 4 amp and even has a rectifier if I want to use it for small lights and such.

Mac Attack

« Reply #40 on: Mar 30, 2018, 02:52 PM »

I really want to avoid using a bracket. Everything I read says I am not supposed to trailer with a motor attached to a bracket, so that is no good for me. I have enough to deal with at the launch.

I've done it.
But I built a bracket for the bracket.

lol

It was another bracket that reinforced things for trailering.
A lot of BS to make things work.
It worked pretty good.

I still hate brackets however.

Glad you're happy with your purchase Geoff.
Also that it has an alternator.
My buddy has been using a Yamaha 9hp 4-stroke for 4 yrs that doesn't have one.
And he's run the main battery dead a few times.
I jumped him out in the lake once.
It was also rope start - no electric starter.
Yamahas typically start easy.
But that one was cold blooded and you had to pull your jimmies off to get it running.

He just bought a new one 3 weeks ago......with T&T, alternator, electric start, and remote throttle.
Took him 4 yrs to learn though.

I love the guy, but he's a stubborn dope sometimes.

:cookoo:

Mac Attack

« Reply #41 on: Mar 30, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I remote camp for two weeks out of the year, miles from help or cell service, so I really would like a backup motor as well that isn't electric.

very sound reasoning

:thumbup_smilie:

boondox

« Reply #42 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:39 PM »

He doesn't need this on his boat Boon.
He has plenty of room to mount the kicker on the transom next to the big motor.
These brackets are needed if the boat is an I/O
His is an outboard.

I've used them many times over the years and they simply get the kicker too far back and away from the boat for my taste.
Used them on outboard transoms and I/O transoms.
On an I/O no way around using one.

I don't care for them because it increases the chances of getting your downrigger cable or fishing line caught in the motor (don't ask).

Exactly.. lol's he don't need it was not sure if he was buying a 2 stroke short shaft thay why I threw it out there.. four stroke long shaft no need for it.. but ya you can use them on boats with a out board not just meant for i/o motor cause if you got to short of a motor shaft  you want to lower the motor a tad closer to water.. so it does not cavitate as bad

@jethro look up the motor tie bar for the motor to motor hook up..  they sell them at cabelas this way you can steer from your consel mounted to your boat.. if you can't find it let me know cause I will find you it makes life a lot easier..

And good point on the electriAL hook up for charging mac..

boondox

« Reply #43 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:46 PM »
This is if you don't want to pay for the panther electro steer this is a cheaper alternative.. the tie bar makes it so you can steer off the concel steering ..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-outboards-accessories/boat-steering/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104602680/auxiliary-motor-connector-rods/700014.uts?slotId=0

Jethro

« Reply #44 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10:04 PM »
This is if you don't want to pay for the panther electro steer this is a cheaper alternative.. the tie bar makes it so you can steer off the concel steering ..

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-outboards-accessories/boat-steering/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104602680/auxiliary-motor-connector-rods/700014.uts?slotId=0

I don't think I'll be able to use that kind of steering connector. My kicker needs to go on the starboard side of my main due to the swim platform, and the steering linkage is on the far port side. It looks like I'll have to use the e z steer connector which is much more expensive. I'm wondering if it's just worth it to get the electro steere now since I don't think I can use the cheaper steering linkage. I still haven't ruled out coming up with my own Mickey Mouse type idea though!

I did run the motor for a little bit tonight and I must say it is shaky. It was hard to get the steering tension shaft wingnut tight enough so that it wouldn't turn on its own. It also didn't seem to idle down too well. It's going to need some adjustment, maybe some seafoam I don't know. Not sure what the spec is for the lowest rpms it's it's able to idle, but it kept stalling when I idled down low. Was hard to maintain a low idle speed without it wandering. I'll spend some time with it tomorrow and see how it comes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.