FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: !!Quabbin Night Pass!!!  (Read 6500 times)

Baitbucket

!!Quabbin Night Pass!!!
« on: Apr 02, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Found out recently that the 2018 Quabbin Night Pass has been suspended.

I called the Quabbin Visitor Center to find out more details. There is a meeting tonight to discuss the changes they plan to make. One of them is the removal of the night pass.. The reason for that is due to wanting to restrict the access at night. Which makes no sense.. You would think they would want more fisherman in there at night, at the very least you got people out there keeping an eye on things.. If someone wanted to do something nefarious, they arent going to apply for a night pass (i told the guy on the phone this as well).

They are planning for a huge crowd at the meeting tonight.
(413) 323-7221

If you fish the Q at all or ever plan to, i implore you to call the visitor center and express your concerns.

stripernut

Re: !!Quabbin Night Pass!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I can't make it tonight, but I left a message on the visitor center phone for what it is worth...

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2018, 05:15 PM »
This state is ridiculous.  There's so many great places to fish but they manage to screw up a lot of them.  There are great fishing opportunities on many of the other reservoirs out west, most of which are reserve water supplies, yet the state doesn't allow any fishing on them.  There are also plenty of rivers that could be managed 100% better.  If MA wanted to they could have controlled releases out of littleville and have a fishery similar to that of the Farmington on the Westfield (or Deerfield, Ware, Millers, etc).  Granted they would need to create management areas that would allow trout to holdover and would also need to keep water at knightville in order to feed littleville during drought conditions, similar to that of Colebrook and Hogsback.  The state just doesnt have any interest in managing ANY fishery and would rather just dump trout in places where they can be taken to eat.  This is exactly why I have a CT and NY license.  If CT got consistent ice I prob wouldn't even bother buying a MA license.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2018, 05:48 PM »
CT and mass both suck... Few more years im gone......
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2018, 06:32 PM »
This state is ridiculous.  There's so many great places to fish but they manage to screw up a lot of them.  There are great fishing opportunities on many of the other reservoirs out west, most of which are reserve water supplies, yet the state doesn't allow any fishing on them.  There are also plenty of rivers that could be managed 100% better.  If MA wanted to they could have controlled releases out of littleville and have a fishery similar to that of the Farmington on the Westfield (or Deerfield, Ware, Millers, etc).  Granted they would need to create management areas that would allow trout to holdover and would also need to keep water at knightville in order to feed littleville during drought conditions, similar to that of Colebrook and Hogsback.  The state just doesnt have any interest in managing ANY fishery and would rather just dump trout in places where they can be taken to eat.  This is exactly why I have a CT and NY license.  If CT got consistent ice I prob wouldn't even bother buying a MA license.

Funny we have the same problem in my state. Could manage for some very interesting put and grow but the state takes the easy way out and just dumps trout in the inlands lakes for put and take.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Did anyone make it and hear any of the reasoning behind considering closing nights?

CMD1987

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:10 AM »

This.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Good read here

http://www.telegram.com/news/20180402/talk-of-quabbin-access-restrictions-meets-resistance-from-hunters-anglers

Excellent read.  Love the line "some regulations were not “perfectly logical,” explaining that over time they were the result of pressure from different groups with different interests."  They clearly made changes to access/regulations without public consent in the past in order to placate various interest groups.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Does one have to subscribe to read the article? I was not able to see more than a couple of pictures.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Does one have to subscribe to read the article? I was not able to see more than a couple of pictures.

Dont think so. But here is the whole article:

BELCHERTOWN – Speculation about proposed changes to the Quabbin Public Access Management Plan, several more restrictive, drew a crowd of more than 60 to the Quabbin Visitor Center Monday night.

DCR proposals include ending night fishing on the reservoir, ending the one-day fishing license, ending geocaching and changing hunting regulations for off-reservation watershed land. Changes also are proposed for regulations for “walking on designated routes.”

Leo P. Roy, commissioner of the state Department of Conservation and Recreation, told the crowd that some of the changes were proposed for the purposes of clarification, admitting he was unaware of the reasons for some current practices and was looking for answers.

Many of those present, anglers who fish the reservoir and those who hunt the Quabbin watershed beyond the gated boundaries of the reservation, questioned whether an attempt was being made to establish additional access restrictions without benefit of public comment.

Tony Brighenti, who represents the North Worcester County Quabbin Anglers Association on the advisory committee, told the commissioner the updated public access plan that the Quabbin Watershed Access Committee approved in October might need tweaking, but was acceptable as is.

“If it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it,” he said.

State Sen. Anne M. Gobi, D-Spencer, said the crowd showed up on a Monday night because of fears that established rights were about to be taken away.

“You’re looking for an answer to a problem that doesn’t exist,” the senator told the commissioner.

She added, “We want people to come to Quabbin, people who enjoy it and respect it.”

Rob Roy of Hardwick told the commissioner there was a concern that DCR had already made changes without the benefit of comment from those who know the resource the best.

Mr. Roy said at the start of his remarks that there would be no changes to existing fishing and hunting access, and said DCR would take into account the comments made at the meeting as well as written comments submitted to DCR by the end of April.

“I’m here for an exchange of ideas, to find out why things are done and not done,” he said, deferring to explanations from advisory committee members and others present.

Bill Pula, retired Quabbin and Ware River Watershed regional director, and now a advisory committee, acknowledged that some regulations were not “perfectly logical,” explaining that over time they were the result of pressure from different groups with different interests.

Mr. Roy said his intent was to “get it right,” based on what he learned at the meeting, and to present any suggestions for changes to the updated access plan to the advisory committee at its June meeting.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Sounds like by having representation at the meeting including a state senator the powers to be might be hesitant to make changes behind people's backs.  Kudos to those of you that showed up! As twice past president of a nonprofit aquaculture association one thing I've learned is you need representation, and you need to be heard. And the more of you the better. As soon as you sit back and let things happen you may find things are done you're not happy with.

OTOH I don't know how many times I've been to federal meetings of alleged shareholders when it was obvious the feds had their minds made up and the open meetings were just protocol to get out of the way.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Thank you Bait bucket for posting that.  I'll be at Quabbin sometime in June. Maybe I'll see you there andI can say hello. I'll be looking for a guy in white!  :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:00 PM »

Yup.  Same here.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Yup.  Same here.

Where to? If I had a choice it would be NH and still plan on moving there some day when the wife and I are ready. The only thing holding me back is the awesome salt fishery here in RI.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.