FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ? For the fly guy’s.  (Read 5349 times)

Stickbait

Re: ? For the fly guy’s.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2018, 05:50 AM »
Yes, but it largely depends on your skill as a caster.

the biggest advantage of a $500+ rod I imagine is you'll probably put less physical work in (false casting, hauling, shooting line) to get the same distance that's about it. 

I've never used a fly rod over $100 and I've caught lot's of nice fish... jus' sayin'...  ;D

I know,I've seen your posts!

Stickbait

« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2018, 05:56 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll definitely check out you tube,and practice, practice, practice!!
A video of me casting is also a great idea.

Thanks again for all the help!

seamonkey84

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Also, if you haven’t already, check out https://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/index.php
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Find yourself a fly casting instructor and hire them for an hour of cast instruction and do it before you develop bad habits (like using your wrist). After the lesson, you then practice, practice, practice... With most rods, I can cast the most of a full fly line, but that is because I got good instruction and then (like with a bow) I would cast (often over grass) every day for at least few minutes. Most all of the tips given here have been great, but nothing can replace an hour of time with a good instructor, it does not matter how good a caster someone is, it does not mean they can teach you how to cast... Most of the time it is not all that expensive, I have been doing it for decades and I still only charge $35 for an hour, I am sure you can find someone in your area that is good and reasonable... Money and time well spent!

cap

« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:56 AM »
You could hire a Registered Maine Guide (f'rinstance like me) to help you, but I honestly don't think it is all that worth it as a beginner and you won't find very many guides (f'rinstance like me) who would tell you this because they want your dough. They charge you and get you going but you can do that on your own. The help you get from a guide or a casting instructor pays off after you have played around with it a bit and you have a feel for it, then you can get a coach to help you to "fine tune your casting" and get it together, like a Golf Pro.  You will waste your money hiring one as a rank beginner, but you can get way better afterwords.  I usually charge more than you will want to pay me, but you will get a shore lunch, most likely you'll catch some fish, and you'll get my awesome story telling, but for you... I'll give you some free advice...Upline your fly line...if your rod is 5 weight? put a six or a 7 weight line on it...if it is a 6 weight, put a 7 or 8 weight line on it...play with it....then maybe you'll decide to move back down in line weight...many new rods are wicked fast and a slower rod is generally easier to learn on, you can slow down a fast rod by uplining it...voila...in fact this what most guides or casting instructors will charge you $350 bucks to find out...Also, you don't have to spend a lot of money for fly lines...go to Cabelas Bargain Bin or Sierra Trading Post and buy the cheapest fly lines you can find....

robbfishing

« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Umm correct casting involves the wrist .... Been fly-fishing for 30 + years and own around a dozen flyrods between $20 and $500  All require correct casting technique ...

seamonkey84

« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Umm correct casting involves the wrist .... Been fly-fishing for 30 + years and own around a dozen flyrods between $20 and $500  All require correct casting technique ...

Ive always been told, that until you can form proper tight loops, you should not use any wrist. They make wrist braces to lock the wrist for beginners learning to make the straight back and forward casts, as using the wrist Improperly can cause loops to open, or cause the rod to load/unload at the wrong time. Then when your getting better at casting, you use the wrist to get more distance. Then after getting the hang of pushing with the wrist at the right time, adding in the timeing for a haul is just the next step.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishsluggos

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:35 PM »
And from personal experience beware of the wind blowing across your casting shoulder. Unless you want to pull a fly out of the back of your hat or worse. Don't ask.

Stickbait

« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:48 PM »
And from personal experience beware of the wind blowing across your casting shoulder. Unless you want to pull a fly out of the back of your hat or worse. Don't ask.
Lol,funny you mention that. When I first started learning,I got a fly stuck in my earlobe. My wife saw it and said,nice earring!

seamonkey84

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Lol,funny you mention that. When I first started learning,I got a fly stuck in my earlobe. My wife saw it and said,nice earring!

Luckily I haven’t had anything like that happen yet, but I have knocked myself good in the back of the head with a bead head streamer a couple times. I’m just glad I de-barb all my hooks.  Oh, on that note, when throwing heavy flies or rigs, that’s when you actually want to open up the loop to the side a bit on the back cast,  so the end of the line doesn’t crash and tangle with the rest as it straighten out behind you.

RRobert

• cast, mend, drift, hope, step, repeat.
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I've read somewhere that a better rod will just help you throw mistakes farther.  It really is much more about casting form than it is about the rod.  As Jim said, accuracy at 25 feet is far more important than throwing a 40ft mess. Practice Practice Practice, and watch all the casting instruction videos you can find...there is no correct way other than the one that you are comfortable with.
Every rod has a story, and some of them are true.

fishlessman

« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:49 AM »
you will learn quicker with a heavier line/rod setup, say an 8 or 9 wt to practice with. you get a better understanding on the rod loading on the back cast etc.   you will catch more trout fishing 15 feet away with nymphs though ;D  i found i needed to continually practice on the lawn, you get distracted on a pond with fish around you

fishlessman

« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:11 PM »
My question is, will a fly rod of higher quality cast further than one of lesser quality?
I have a cheap sci. Angler rod,5/6 wt.9’, paired with matching weight,weight forward line, and can only seem to cast out to 25’or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

i should add to what i posted. if you are just getting 25 feet its probably your mechanics, you are forcing a 25 foot cast, your rodtip is too high on the back cast and your release is too low going forward, it forces the line to cast down.  you can push the rod harder, load the rod harder, if you dont change the mechanics, no matter how hard you whip the rod, you are going to get 25 feet. if you want to cast further, the rod needs to stop lower behind you and full stop higher in front of you, an upward angle. i tend to cast sidearm when going for distance and can see the cast angle better.   lefty krey has a 4 principles system, google it, some stupid simple stuff helps alot. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Fishless, funny that you mentioned the four principals, I just watched his demonstration on YouTube last night before bed. The channel Hooked Up has a great series of videos with Lefty Kreh (RIP  :()

fishlessman

« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Fishless, funny that you mentioned the four principals, I just watched his demonstration on YouTube last night before bed. The channel Hooked Up has a great series of videos with Lefty Kreh (RIP  :()

i can picture lefty yelling at me at a sportsmans show right now ;D  always tried to get on stage with him for a quick lesson.  look for the work he did with ed jaworowski,  ed was the better caster and instructor, i did a 16 hour class with ed for distance, at the end of two days most of the class was getting well over 20 feet of backing into the cast and using the hundred foot plus steelhead lines to boot. he was very specific about learning with an 8 or 9 weight rod if you want to work on distance

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.