FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mississinewa and salamonie  (Read 3109 times)

fishinfooljake

Mississinewa and salamonie
« on: Apr 17, 2018, 07:13 PM »
What are good cfm's for walleye fishing the tail waters? Went today without any luck at either place.

bigr

Re: Mississinewa and salamonie
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2018, 05:12 AM »
Missinnawa you can catch fish with higher discharge rates and in fact rates from 500 to 1500 aren't bad at all in the right spots. Sally is a whole different story. Rates need to be very low for decent fishing. Rates under 300 and preferable under 100. Dirty water doesn't help either places. If you fish further down stream in the river you'll want rates as low as possible for best results from either.

fishinfooljake

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Wow! Do guys normally fish up close to the d**n or basically all downstream of the dam for walleye? I tried just out by the little pool on the north side of the river by the d**n and didn't have any luck. Caught about a dozen crappies though. Only a few in the 8-10in range

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Hey Jake, fellow fishin fool here! I spent a fair amount of time this early spring trying to make some since of the walleye bite at Sally tail water, I can tell you on the 3 days i caught fish consistently the water was barley rolling out of the gate.  I'm developing a theory. From what i have learned its not just about the flow at the res your fishing, but how the "big three" work together. Rouse, Salimonie, Mississinewa. They all feed into the Wabash. The Walleye in the Wabash swim upstream into the three discharge rivers to the point of the Dams (No fish ladders here, dead end equals a certain concentration of fish), I truly believe they are swimming more freely to which ever river system has the lower discharge rate at the moment. Path of least resistant so to speak, there not steelhead. I have caught the majority of my fish along the "Wall", behind the larger boulders and rock. In the slack eddy water. If you catch one there throw right back to the same place, they definitely stack up in the "sweet spots". Try to find some shred of water clarity (big r knows whats up) and learn to fish in chocolate milk. Put a rattle in everything. If the traditional green does not produce right off the bat,switch to orange then hot pink. My two cents friend, do what you will with it.

fishinfooljake

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Nice! Thanks for the advice! I seen the tips of some boulders the other day. Can't wait til it's down enough to wade around out there. Hopfully heading back down there Friday evening. Do you just use lead heads with twister tails? I normally use a floater/Carolina rig for the maumee run.

Hankfan24

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Trying to gather Intel on indiana walleye fishing is rough. Its people like Tennessee freeze that really do help, and are willing to. He is spot on about Salamonie from my experience. Coming from Northern Michigan, its been rough to find a consistent walleye bite. Then, you go to web pages like the IDNR has for the Salamonie reservoir, which tells you has excellent walleye fishing in the tailwater, but a walleye is rarely caught in the reservoir itself even though the DNR stocks it. I read that 3 times, and its still confusing. Lol How can a walleye be rarely caught with a stocking program in place? I'm assuming they meant they stock the river, but it doesn't read that way. It makes it hard for someone not from here.

bev

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I think they stopped the stocking program years ago. you can catch them on the main body, but you have to work at it.

Hankfan24

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2018, 04:47 PM »
Fished the sally tailwaters this afternoon. Foul hooked one, caught 1 short. Beautiful day! Was the only one there until a guy showed up, and decided to fish right next to me. Just started yapping away like we were long lost friends. Lol. I'm a reasonably nice guy I think, and I'm more than willing to move over to let someone fish, but you should at least ask. It seems like etiquette is a lost concept on some people.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:29 AM »
Yea finally a very nice day. Even got a sun tan. I saw where the corp had the discharge way down and figured it could be good. Still very muddy but fish should be in there in good numbers. Years and years ago the State did stock the Resi's with walleye but they determined that it wasn't working well for the resi's. It did however plant walleye in the river in big numbers since most went thru the dams. The biologist didn't think there was much natural reproduction going on in the river but over the yrs has been enough to maintain a fishery. Also the missy and sally after the state stopped the stocking in the resi's they turned stocking over to property stocking to the managers and that continues to some degree each yr or atleast until the last few yrs. They still dump the fry into the lake which in turn seed the river. You can get more info by visiting the welcome centers on the property to see how many they are able to raise each yr. Seems like the resi's are getting higher numbers of eyes now as well.   

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:38 AM »
If Dnr is going to continue to advertise the walleye bite at the Salimonie Tail Water the way they do, they need to back it up with the fishery they are leading anglers to believe exists here!!

Im working connections and channels, I and many others do not appreciate embelisment or misspresentaion of a fishery to us anglers. We live in a transparent, true and accurate world that does not tolerate falsehood. I pay for my licenses and various stamps every year without fail because I must fish. It is essential to my happiness, and i suppose i will continue to do so regardless of how the Dnr manages our public waters (Which is great on the whole). I have no choice. I just dont think they realize how many people travel here thinking this is going to be a serious walleye fishery/run.

Sorry for the negative fishing vibe Ya'll, just venting, anyone else feel my pain?

Hankfan24

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Yes Mr. Freeze I do. I've had to change my expectations a little since my move to Indiana. When I first moved here, I was all excited after reading online articles about the quality of the fishing in the tail waters below the dams around here. Are there walleyes below these dams. Yes. But, are they there in big numbers? No. Not in comparison, but to be fair, we are a long way from Lake Erie, or Saginaw Bay. I have found some decent lake fishing here in the summer for indiana, but the river runs are less than impressive. Its way to hit or miss no matter what the weather is doing.

RoeBoat

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider the local rivers a "run" at all.  There is a movement of fish and are definitely local "spots" that those fish move to, but like Hank said, we are not getting a run of fish from Erie.  There are more eyes in the local rivers than when I was growing up in the 70s-80s.  We fished the tailwaters and some other spots.  I know of more areas today than I did back then.  Guys are getting them right now on the Saint Mary's on gravel bars.  Had a guy bring an 8lber into my store that came from the Decatur area back in the early 2000s.  They still get them in that area today.  Freeze, you being half fish, you will sniff out those spots over time and will get more than your share of eyes.  You've already caught more than anyone I know on a fly rod with an egg sucking leech!!!

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Ya'll are awesome!  :D, sorry for the rant. There is a fishable population near me. I shouldn't complain.

Hankfan24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2018, 07:15 PM »

Yeah, they're here, and I don't mean to sound negative. I found a little hole and got 2 tonight.

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Ya Man!! :clapping:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.