FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: St Joe river Bristol Indiana  (Read 1467 times)

crazydave

St Joe river Bristol Indiana
« on: Apr 21, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Does anyone know how deep the river is in the Bristol area?
Is it safe for a 14' rowboat with a short shaft motor?
Thanks.

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
Re: St Joe river Bristol Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2018, 03:02 PM »
sorta....
I run a 25 hp ss on a  15' jon from Bristol up to mottville. it takes some time  to learn. but yes it can be run.  to me a 60.00 prop is worth it and I get about 2yrs out of one.  a small investment for summer solitude and smallies.  a few canoes but not many other boats.  the hotter the weather and lower the water the better it is.
will you hit bottom and ding a prop...yes!
are there hazards to take out a lower unit...yes
but go slow and pick your way up and learn it...its worth it.
down stream is tricky so go up.
best advice ....drop the hammer and don't stop till your where you want to fish. we run up and float and trolling motor down.  you can run shallower than you can float! 
ive also ran my triton 21' up to mottville but even knowing the river that's scary!!

crazydave

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Thanks, I may have to put the old 2 stroke back on the boat at least till I find a path.
Knee deep and I won't touch a thing.
Maybe even get out and wade if its shallow.

trophytaker1

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2018, 03:03 AM »
Fast water is the deepest part.

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:32 AM »
there are some HUGE flats up there and ya, definatly on a hot day get out and wade a bit. couple islands for lunch too.
and yep, knee deep is what a lot of it is outside the channels. the water gets real clear and that makes it so much easier. I usually start after memorial day as it takes a while for the fish to migrate up there after wintering below six span and spawning down stream.  the upper river stays cool as the slower darker water heats up below six span, pushing them up there.  that stretch stays loaded with fish till late august....by sept they start moving back down and its dead other than walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.