FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pelicans in Indiana  (Read 1605 times)

Boomer

Pelicans in Indiana
« on: Apr 24, 2018, 09:35 PM »
I was at Kingsbury F & W Area this evening and saw several pelicans there.  I have seen pelicans at Brookville Reservoir before. Just wondering how widespread these birds are in Indiana and do they spend the summer? (I have seen pelicans in northern Michigan and Minnesota before.)

abishop

Re: Pelicans in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2018, 09:50 PM »
saw 1 at the slough last year.

billyex99

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2018, 10:33 PM »
We saw about 30 of them on Palestine about 10 days ago. They were smaller than the pelicans in Florida and when they flew they had a black stripe under their wings.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Keep them away from my fish ponds! ::). I have enough trouble with Great Blue Herons!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2018, 06:06 AM »
They seem to be expanding their range.  In early spring 2016 there were several thousand at Goose Pond for quite a while.
They seem to have replaced brown pelicans on Kentucky Lake as well.

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I didn't want to hear that!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:33 AM »
This was posted last year Tim and they were verified as Pelicans by photos.

I had two seagulls (Terns?) for the first time about a week ago on one of my ponds.

I had some odd looking wading birds on the one of the ponds several years ago that prefer Hudson Bay according to the pictures I looked up. I think they were called Hudsonian Godwittes? I could understand they were migrating to Hudson Bay but this wasn't supposed to be their flyway.

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Keep them away from my fish ponds! ::).

Understandable Taxid. I hear that their bill can hold more than their belly can!  Hopefully they are just passing by and going north.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Understandable Taxid. I hear that their bill can hold more than their belly can!  Hopefully they are just passing by and going north.

No you misunderstood. That trout was it by a Great Blue Heron. I haven't seen any pelicans yet and hope I don't.

RoeBoat

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2018, 09:12 PM »
I've seen herons grab fish out of our pond they couldn't fly with, suckers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.