FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Crappies in Northern Indiana?  (Read 2775 times)

taxid

White Crappies in Northern Indiana?
« on: Apr 27, 2018, 05:42 AM »
I need some White Crappie males for broodfish as I hope to produce hybrid crappies this year on my small scale fish farm. No problem getting the black crappies on a nearby lake (Eagle in Noble County) almost a stone's throw from the house, but the nearest lake that is supposed to have white crappies (Skinner Lake also in Noble County) didn't produce any White Crappies yesterday. Nothing but blacks and one probable hybrid.

I'm thinking of Mississinewa Sunday but have never fished it.

Any suggestions on where to go at Missi? Can I get the job done bank fishing or do I need the boat? I only need about five males. I have small live tank I can put in the SUV or the boat.

BTW in case anyone wonders, this is perfectly legal in Indiana as long as I have a valid fishing license and follow all applicable laws. And as long as I don't attempt to resell the fish I use as broodfish.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hankfan24

Re: White Crappies in Northern Indiana?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Good morning Taxid, I literally have no help for your immediate question, I've never fished there. But, we stocked our pond with white crappie years ago, and have a pretty healthy fishery. Taking some males out would not be an issue. Ill send you a pm.

fishinfooljake

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:52 AM »
You can catch them below the dam pretty easy with some jigs and a float. You'll see the guys and where they are catching them on the north side of river

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2018, 08:37 AM »
A much closer location for you would be a place called hanging rock just upstream from mouth of sally and Wabash. You can fish from shore in slack area and should get all you want. This location is on the south side of river so you'll want to drive thru small town of Lagro to cross bridge. Tube Jig a couple ft under bobber will do the trick. If you want to wade you can also get what you want from right at the mouth of the two rivers parking on the north side of river. Google area and you'll see spots. Guys were really catching numbers and size last evening from waders at second location.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Thank you all for you replies!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:18 AM »
A much closer location for you would be a place called hanging rock just upstream from mouth of sally and Wabash. You can fish from shore in slack area and should get all you want. This location is on the south side of river so you'll want to drive thru small town of Lagro to cross bridge. Tube Jig a couple ft under bobber will do the trick. If you want to wade you can also get what you want from right at the mouth of the two rivers parking on the north side of river. Google area and you'll see spots. Guys were really catching numbers and size last evening from waders at second location.

Wiki says fishing is prohibited at Hanging Rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Rock_and_Wabash_Reef_National_Natural_Landmark

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:19 AM »
You can catch them below the dam pretty easy with some jigs and a float. You'll see the guys and where they are catching them on the north side of river

Below the dam at Mississinewa?

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:10 AM »
From the rock itself. It's a very large rock formation that overhangs the river. There are people that would try too fish if you let them. Interesting natural site if you haven't seen it.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:08 PM »
From the rock itself. It's a very large rock formation that overhangs the river. There are people that would try too fish if you let them. Interesting natural site if you haven't seen it.

Thanks!

Hankfan24

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:18 PM »

Pond crappie look ok this year.

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:20 PM »
 Barbee!!!
get some quality brood stock from a lake with know white toads!
plus its closer to home. and you might have to sort thru some blacks but they taste good!!

tater140

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Robinson lake has some whites.  Its part of the denniston park.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:50 AM »
why do some other states have white and black crappie categories.  in our state records they have them both together?  do any states recognize the hybrid in separate category?

You have to ask this?  ;D. Illinois even has a separate category for hybrid crappie.

Why does Indiana have no separate category for hybrid and regular bluegills?

Why does Indiana not have a separate category for inland trout vs. Great Lakes trout?

Why does Indiana think we don't need a bag limit on bluegills?

Why does Indiana not separate pond fish records from public water fish?

I could go on and on.

This is all common place in other states.

Hankfan24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Why does indiana not have seasons on popular game fish? The walleye opener in Michigan is a big deal with several festivals and tournaments going on.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I assume no opener on the walleye in Indiana because there is no significant natural reproduction. Typically a closed season is to protect spawning fish.

On largemouth bass was told there is no difference between an open an closed season on population levels in Indiana. According to the biologist taking them off the beds makes no difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.