FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappies still slow on Eagle Lake  (Read 1116 times)

taxid

Crappies still slow on Eagle Lake
« on: Apr 29, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Was out today in bluebird skies and couldn't buy a bite until an hour before dark and got two at once parallel to a stand of dead bullrushes on an underwater ridge with crappie minnows. Then had one come off due to the hook snagging in the bullrushes and missed another bite. And that was it! Water is just too cold yet for them to be shallow in the bullrushes. The two I got tonight look like they are females with eggs though. Bulging a little. They are part of a large group I am holding in a floating cage in one of the ponds until I get a bout a half dozen white crappie males. I will be using a small diameter tube to probe for gametes to sex them to be 100 percent accurate. And hopefully produce some hybrid crappies.

Not sure if the full moon tonight had any negative effect?

I know things will really pick up in the next week or two with warming temps.

I can' believe the people that show up to the boat ramp and leave beer cans and other trash. Never launch a boat just stand around and throw fast food waste on the ground. Half filled a garbage bag the other day there and now there's more trash. Why do people do this? Doesn't trash everywhere bother them?

Also saw a guy use his bass boat outboard on Eagle which is electric motors only. However he just used to get his boat back on the trailer as his electric motor is in the front.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Crappies still slow on Eagle Lake
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2018, 05:08 AM »
great report

i havent fished that lake since late 80s early 90s.  did you try the lil pond like area?  mite try the tiny(1-80th) jig with hackle on it.  that is all i have been using, the last 3 weeks without bait.  a float with worm on it just sets out there getting out fished 10+ to 1.

what im using is kinda like these.  https://www.cabelas.com/product/VMC-TUNGSTEN-FLY-JIG/2074946.uts?productVariantId=4250358&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04223746&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8ebh_jg2gIVFXZeCh26kgWDEAQYBCABEgIn8_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The last time I was there about 3 days ago the little pond was the only place we could catch them, although we had a couple of bites outside of the pond. This time not even a bite in there. But they may have turned on just like the did in the main pond before dark.

Thanks for the tip on the fly. Is it heavy enough to cast or do you put it below a float or clear bubble?

Makes sense with the float just sitting there vs. something that moves that covers more water. I was using crappie minnow though, not worms. I'm blessed with two bait stores within 10 minutes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Crappies still slow on Eagle Lake
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:38 AM »
i use an ice float most of the time(casts are short).  if you need to cast use a "wing it"float or casting bubble and light leader.  i work it a foot or two, then let fly settle.   they like that floating down fly i think.  sometimes minnows are just to active for neutral fish i think.

Thanks for the information. I have seen neutral fish actually just nip at bigger plastic crappie jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.