FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye suggestions  (Read 3372 times)

ct83

Re: Walleye suggestions
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 02:47 AM »
I believe that had no effect just my opinion though. I really believe its getting fished out! I know it used to always take 15+ lbs to win there and everyone always had 9 to 10 lbs there now it seems as half the guys in the tournaments are lucky to even weigh 2 or 3 fish. And its been happening for a few years now...

taxid

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:04 AM »
Seems to me we had the same complaints on a lake system near Angola years ago and the INDNR came in with a survey and found plenty of bass.

The thing you tournament guys don't realize is bass get more difficult to catch with catch and release on a regular basis and Wawa gets a lot of bass tournaments. I've seen it with my own eyes on ponds where the bass get almost impossible to catch over time. Catch them on a spinner bait a couple of times and forget about catching them on that type of bait for a long time. It doesn't mean they're smart but it does mean they can be conditioned to avoid certain baits. I suspect the same thing is going on in the muskie lakes with muskies.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36 AM »
So as far as walleye suggestions (topic) some of you suggesting better bass fishing. Maybe I should start a Bass suggestion for comments about walleye.

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00 AM »
So as far as walleye suggestions (topic) some of you suggesting better bass fishing. Maybe I should start a Bass suggestion for comments about walleye.

Instead of walleye, you may end up getting comments about trout or musky!  ::) ::) ::)

Hankfan24

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Set a walleye season similar to Michigan. Close fishing in the areas known to be prime spawning ground would increase the opportunities throughout the rest of the year.

fishinator

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Set a walleye season similar to Michigan. Close fishing in the areas known to be prime spawning ground would increase the opportunities throughout the rest of the year.
The main body of water that i fish for eyes has a very low number of them. Without the spawn to somewhat concentrate them, you are lucky to get 1 every 10 outings. They don't successfully spawn in this body of water due to excessive silt and poor spawning area so a closed season would have no effect there. I believe each body of water needs to be looked at individually, but we all know the funding is not there for that.

Hankfan24

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Understood and you're right, there's no way they'd fund that. As an example, where I grew up and lived most of my life, the Tittabawassee River that flows into Saginaw bay gets a huge run of walleyes each spring. Walleye season in Michigan closes March 15th and opens up the last Saturday in April each year on inland lakes and rivers. As an added regulation, that pertains specifically to the Tittabawassee River, during the close-season there is no fishing allowed at all 300 ft Downstream from any of the dams, and there are no artificial lures allowed for fishing other species. So, you can use a hook that is no bigger than a 1/2 inch from to shank, and live bait only, and have to stay away from the dams. During this time, the DNR goes in with their shocking program that collects the eggs for the stocking. I've watched them do it several times, and it's really cool to watch them pull giant female walleyes that are full of eggs out of the water! I think this is something like you had in mind with setting specific regulations for each body of water. We are in 100% agreement. Plus, on the opening day of walleye season there is a tournament and a festival and all that jazz. It's an absolute ball.

ct83

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 12:58 PM »
well sorry bigr.

Spooled85

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I've been told I look amaish because of the beard ... Please don't hate me if you see me fishing lol

ct83

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 06:40 PM »
I've been told I look amaish because of the beard ... Please don't hate me if you see me fishing lol
  its all good brother i have a big beard also! Lol. And i dont hate amish at all just hate that they keep everything they catch!

bigr

« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 2018, 05:17 AM »
No problem ct83. I enjoy reading all the replies but was hoping to see more on the walleye and just maybe someone in the right position with the dnr also may see something they like.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.