FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bulk minnows  (Read 1758 times)

Hankfan24

Bulk minnows
« on: Jun 07, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Does anyone know where a good place is to buy bulk minnows for a pond?

RoeBoat

Re: Bulk minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Rock Creek Bait, near Monroe IN, but he may meet you locally if he's on his route.  I'm not sure who all he delivers to right now.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Does anyone know where a good place is to buy bulk minnows for a pond?

Where are you located? Anywhere near Pleasant Lake Indiana in Steuben County? There is a supplier there.

https://www.yellowpages.com/pleasant-lake-in/mip/myers-bait-fish-inc-5733887
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2018, 05:20 PM »
I have 4 wholesalers in my area. Where do you live?

Hankfan24

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2018, 06:29 AM »
We are just north of fort wayne.

gilldan

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Check out some local hardware stores.  Ours in Bluffton is on the route of a fish sales for local ponds.  They come here several times a year.  You can bulk from them.  Also our local Soil and Water Conservation district sponsors twice a year stocking fish sales.  Send me a PM and I can give you a contact phone number.  Maybe there is a route near you.  like Taxi said Myers Bait and Fish Hatchery near Pleasant Lake is a good source also.  I used to deal with them in the early 80's when I had a bait store.  Good people along with Buck's bait in Peru.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2018, 03:54 PM »
https://jonesfish.com/pages/fish-days

They also have a distribution point in Ft. Wayne.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Hank,

Just so you know knowledgable pond managers think stocking bait minnows (fathead minnows) in an established pond is a waste of money. They are a slow moving species that gets cropped down very rapidly and they are too small to be of much value to your larger fish. Additonally a  lot of wasted energy for your largest fish even if they do utilize them -- albeit for a short while. You're better off allowing a species that spawns more than once a year provide forage such as bluegill and tilapia. And that provide incrementally larger fish for forage.

Fatheads are great if you allow them to reproduce with no predator fish for about a year in a new pond, and then plant your predator fish, which will give them a jump start before your bluegill really get going.

The thing a lot of people don't seem to realize is it takes 10 pounds of forage fish to produce one pound of predator fish. (Believe it or not there is a lot of water in fish). Think about how much you pay for a pound of fathead minnows and if it's worth produce one pound of fish gain for the whole pond!

I am in the business of producing trophy size fish for the taxidermy and replica fish market. I depend on feed trained fish that I feed pellets for fast growth and large size. I can get at least 1 lb. of fish per 2 lbs. of feed served vs. 1 to 10 on minnows. This is why a lot of fish farms have gone to feed training fish.

So you ask why do some fish farms push the sale of fathead minnows for established ponds? Because it's the most profitable fish they sell! They are also easy to produce in ponds with no predator fish and you don't even have to feed them!

WHAT I HAVE DONE in my ponds where I grow trophy size yellow perch, is plant fatheads just before ice up to give them some easy protein to hold them through the winter, and help their egg development since they are depending on pellets the rest of the year.

Hankfan24

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Thank you everyone, I knew I could count on you guys! Much appreciated.

tater140

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Bucks Bait.... man that sure brings back memories.  I grew up down there and used to be in and out of that place all the time.

gilldan

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:38 PM »
He was a great guy to deal with.  Pretty crusty and always to the point.  But he always had great bait and was a good guy to deal with.

gilldan

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Myers bait has the beat B Moths around if you know a shop that buys off of them.  When I open a container I can still their product from the others out there.  They produce the best around.  The best crickets I used to buy was from a guy in Merriam that raised them in an old schoolhouse.  I'm sure he is closed up now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.