FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Heading for UP of Michigan  (Read 1830 times)

Teacherpreacher

Heading for UP of Michigan
« on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Heading to UP of Michigan Saturday for two weeks. Will be my  38th year at same spot.
Weatherman calling for 90 degrees and high humidity for first couple of days with thunderstorms? Humidity not a good thing up there, no air!!! :-\ But should get better.
 Good gill, bass and some nice northerns and some nice crappies. Use to catch nice walleyes but state quit stocking about six years ago as had a disease with their brood stock out of Bay de Noc and there's not enough current or wave action for them to reproduce on their own with any consistency. They have the problem solved now in Bay de Noc but the gal that is in charge of stocking stated she wasn't going to resume stocking in our chain as the walleye never did well in the past and they hurt the bass population! WRONG!!! Consistent catches of 2-5 lb fish was the norm and I think the size of smallmouth and largemouth was better when we had walleyes?
I question some of these younger experts that are in charge but that's just my opinion.
So instead of walleyes, she stocked rainbow trout a year ago which they had done several years in the past. Never heard of anyone catching one!
It is what it is? Beautiful area!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Gartoon

Re: Heading for UP of Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Good luck!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Sounds like a Michigan biologist I had correspondence with. Was told by him Hoosiers were over fishing the bluegills in the Fortunate Lakes Chain because the catch rate was way down electroshocking in August. Never mind the bluegills there are 25 feet down so no electroshocker would touch them. There was no mention whatsoever of gill nets to reach them in the the survey he sent me.

And last I knew they get 10 grand more a year than our Indiana biologists!

Good luck. There should still be some dandy walleyes in there!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Good luck up there Teach. I'm heading up to my cabin for a week, mainly targeting brown trout. Hope to hit the Hex Hatch! Time it right and it can be some really good fishing, but just getting away up north is the main draw. Later Hex

Hankfan24

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Awesome! We are heading up there too! Its home for me, but my wife is a life long hoosier. We are gonna fish the mason Trac of the ausable for the hex hatch for two nights, and then head over and fish that summer run of chinooks, and then head way up to hit the awesome walleye action up by Curtis. Hope we beat the fly hatch up there though. Lol Good luck!

princecraft

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Good luck Teach. Hope you get into those bull gills and hope the weather treats you right.  Have a great time.

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2018, 06:44 PM »
38 years, that's a second home!  I'm sure you will have a great time.  Catch one for me, doesn't matter what!

icecleate

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Good luck Teach. I was up there 2 weeks ago and had one of our best trips in 17 years. We were lucky, the temps were only in the 70's. Will be going back up the 1st week of October

Daybreak

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Just wrote out a check for deposit for Cabin #6 at Crystal Waters Resort on the Fortune Chain.  I haven't been there in 15 years, but know exactly what Taxid is talking about bluegills at 25' in August.  We will be staying there the last week of August before labor day.  Should be a fun trip.  I had a bluegill mounted from my last trip up there.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Just wrote out a check for deposit for Cabin #6 at Crystal Waters Resort on the Fortune Chain.  I haven't been there in 15 years, but know exactly what Taxid is talking about bluegills at 25' in August.  We will be staying there the last week of August before labor day.  Should be a fun trip.  I had a bluegill mounted from my last trip up there.

A 2 pound bluegill was caught when I was up there last, which was quite a few years ago.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishcrazy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Michigan DNR love to spend my license $ on trout stocking. It isn’t Colorado give me a break. Fished the area you speak of for 30 years and never caught one d**n trout in a stocked lake.  Only in rivers   Being a nw Hoosier if a trout is less than 10 lbs I don’t want him on my line. On that note if you want to do some smallmouth fishing pm me I have a lake we never discussed for you to give a whirl...walleye also

fishcrazy

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07:39 AM »
I will be up July 13 also

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Michigan DNR love to spend my license $ on trout stocking. It isn’t Colorado give me a break. Fished the area you speak of for 30 years and never caught one d**n trout in a stocked lake.  Only in rivers   Being a nw Hoosier if a trout is less than 10 lbs I don’t want him on my line. On that note if you want to do some smallmouth fishing pm me I have a lake we never discussed for you to give a whirl...walleye also

Actually in my opinion the steelhead and Lake Michigan get much more attention than our inland lakes for trout. The few inland lakes planted with trout are being managed as put and take when they could be put and grow with fantastic results with a good coldwater forage on the Oliver Lake Chain. (As was in the past when smelt were present.) But the INDNR ruined that by planting lake trout in the small lake system wiping out the cisco and smelt. Even confirmed that with a fisheries biologist out here in New England. Said Lake trout are an apex predator that will surely wipe out a coldwater forage base in a small lake system. They even have to bolster the smelt populations out here (as does Michigan in inland lakes) from time to time as they go in up and down cycles. Even laughed that Indiana probably has no one that has a clue about coldwater fisheries.

Oh heck don't get me started. I refuse to even buy a trout and salmon stamp now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.