FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good morning  (Read 2863 times)

RoeBoat

Good morning
« on: Jul 04, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Got out early, had a long drag to get the yak on the lake.  Tried some topwater first for bass but gave up pretty quick without a strike.  Put 2 long poles out, one with 2 - 3" gulp minnows and one with 2 - 3" twister tails.  Slow trolled and picked up a nice mess of crappie and one bass.

satyr36

Re: Good morning
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2018, 05:38 AM »
nice! I noticed the same w the bass.. they dont want to play top water right now.. I have been KILLING them on tube jigs - the big size that I use for smalleys..

Nice looking set up on your yak - thats what I use!

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Nice job roeboat... Do you use longer rods for slow trolling to get the line away from the paddle?  When i've tried slow trolling in my yak, It seems I always end up hitting the line with the paddles. 

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Yes, if you look close I made a "rack" to lay my long 10'-12' crappie rods on so they stick out the front and the handles lay right in my lap so I can snatch them up while I paddle.  This keeps all my lines in front of my yak and the long rods give me a little more time before the fish feels the rod.

tater140

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I should try that out sometime.  I have always tried long-lining out the back and it can be tough to not tangle the paddles in the line all of the time.  I have a set of 12' spider rigging rods that would work fine. 

Docks Hound

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Nice fish. Do you loosen the drags on the trolling reels or just leave as is?

RoeBoat

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I leave them as I normally would, usually just barely moving around pretty slow.  Miss quite a few bites but most of the time they will suck it in and hold on long enough for me to get my hand from paddle to rod.  Would be way to frustrating trying to get one out of a rod holders, miss too many the way it is.

RoeBoat

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Hit the same spot today with a friend in tow.  Crappie were a little harder to come by.  Bass were liking my jigs and messing up my spider rigging setup.  Nothing like a 3lber on a 12' rod with 2 others within 5' of it!  2 bullheads, a big shad, and one upset, moss back snapping turtle rounded out the day.  Ended up with another nice mess.  Baked sea bass anyone?

Docks Hound

« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:23 PM »
Nice catch. I tried kayak trolling for the first time tonight at the local lake. Back trolled actually. Fished a mini tube under a float. Caught exactly zero fish. Do you use a float?

RoeBoat

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:31 PM »
No float, running dual 1/8oz jigs about 18" apart on 4 or 6 lb test on 10'-12' crappie rods.  Made a PVC "rack" that I lay the poles across.  Too hard to get them out of rod holders quick enough to catch most fish.  Still miss quite a few this way.  Just need more practice I guess.  Loosing a lot of them on top before I can get them in the boat too.  Tried a net today, that was frustrating too!

Docks Hound

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info. Ridiculously long crappie pole has been ordered.

RoeBoat

« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:36 PM »
They're like potatoe chips, you can't just get one!

tater140

« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:43 PM »
And just wait till you catch your first fish on a long rod and crank it up near the tip of the pole and then try and lift him in the boat....
Everytime i take my friends spider rigging they have those crappie circling overhead like buzzards.

Docks Hound

« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Haha. Yeah just ordered a 12 footer to test the waters and will begin scheming on a custom spider rig set up for my yak.

Docks Hound

« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:50 PM »
And just wait till you catch your first fish on a long rod and crank it up near the tip of the pole and then try and lift him in the boat....
Everytime i take my friends spider rigging they have those crappie circling overhead like buzzards.
so you're saying there's a learning curve?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.