FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Braid  (Read 5934 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Braid
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Braid has more friction than other line . If it is not lubricated it will break in an area that has had the most tip friction . People who do not wax or lub their braid loose a lot of lures with good amounts of line. good quality mono gives better life and does not absorb  feel of what is happening at hook end. ( Sea gar Gatsu)

Pretty much all my rods (well over 50) have braid.
I have never encountered this.
And there’s no way mono gives better life than braid.  UV and ozone destroys mono.
Also, mono has stretch where braid doesn’t.  Hence, braid transmits the business end far better than mono.  Also, with zero stretch you get better hook sets than with mono.  Especially in deep water.

Baydog

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Braid has more friction than other line . If it is not lubricated it will break in an area that has had the most tip friction . People who do not wax or lub their braid loose a lot of lures with good amounts of line. good quality mono gives better life and does not absorb  feel of what is happening at hook end. ( Sea gar Gatsu)
Maybe, but I guide well over 100 days a year and have reels that have 20 pound Power Pro on them that get casted many thousands of times each year. On some of those rods(casting and spinning) the braid is three years old, and I haven't experienced any of the problems you claim. I do not lubricate my lines, and can't think of a time that I have lost a lure from a break far up the line....Your experience might vary.....

fishinjohn

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:30 AM »

No line stretch
Doesn't go to crap in the sun and ozone like mono, so lasts WAY longer
Small line diameter vs mono which allows it to sink quicker and deeper.
Typically, higher break strength per pound test rating - which I still cannot understand why.

I use braid on all rods except my steelhead rods and leadcore setups.
I then either clip on a floro leader or splice it to the braid.
Unless I'm dragging a diver or dipsey, then I use a leader after the diving device.
I Couldn't haven't said it any better mac
X2

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:32 AM »

This statement is fundamentally flawed in so many ways...

Never been an issue here with lures up to 7oz and jigs the same weight oh and a few hundred stripers over 40lbs...have used miles of powerpro, diawa samuri braid, and many other brands.  The only time I had line breakage was with a cracked guide.  Speaking of now you can buy guides that greatly reduce the friction with braid. 

Ive been using modern braid since its inception. (Not dacron which has been around long before I was born) Not sure why but my dad was an early adopter.  Anyone remember cutting cheap guides with braid? 

filetandrelease

« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:12 PM »

Yep I’ve cut a few guides in the early years lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:41 PM »

X2

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:33 PM »

My dad had spiderwire when it first came out...I remember it well.  Browing rod and that braid cut through the top guide easily.  He didnt use it much so I was partially to blame.  He couldnt believe the line did it...thought it was my fault.  The good ole days.  Back when ESPN still had The Fishin' Hole on!

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2018, 07:43 AM »

Sometimes I wonder what people like like Roscoe V Gaddis would think of how far things have progressed In the sport of fishing 🎣

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Sometimes I wonder what people like like Roscoe V Gaddis would think of how far things have progressed In the sport of fishing 🎣

I watched him all the time back in the 60's!!!!!

The Flying Fisherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuWV4PpZ6U

filetandrelease

« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:11 AM »

Me too

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:24 AM »

JDK

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2018, 10:22 AM »
I watched him all the time back in the 60's!!!!!

The Flying Fisherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuWV4PpZ6U

Cool video.  I see they embellished the size of the salmon in 1969 also. 8)
# SAND

filetandrelease

« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2018, 01:12 PM »

zwiggles

« Reply #28 on: Jul 18, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Cool video.  I see they embellished the size of the salmon in 1969 also. 8)

Much has changed since this was filmed in the fishing world, but some things are still the same...

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2018, 10:18 AM »
just get some of that fireline stuff. Its basically like waxed line. I use it ice fishing. Doesn't freeze up as easily.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.