FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Michigan and trib fishing  (Read 978 times)

staubsaugen

Lake Michigan and trib fishing
« on: Jul 13, 2018, 02:43 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-lake-michigan-water-clarity-20180126-story.html

Came across this and it made some sense of various fishing related issues for Lake Michigan and its tributaries.

Piggyn

Re: Lake Michigan and trib fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Great read - Thanks for sharing!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

taxid

Re: Lake Michigan and trib fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Yes good read. Seems to me we might want to do some study of research available of large inland seas in eastern europe where the mussels are native and came from. Might provide some clues to managing and predicting the future. Maybe even a predator that preys exclusively on the mussels and adds nutrients back into the ecosystem or maybe even a forage fish? The gobies seem to be doing that to some extent.

It would be interesting to find if redears (shellcrackers) could survive in protected bays on the Great Lakes and do a number on the mussels and provide a trophy size sport fish at the same time. I see Santee Cooper and Havasu and others have produced 5 lb. record fish due to the presence of exotic mussels. As most of us know redear are also called shellcrackets because they maintain crusher teeth in the back of their throat to crush mussels and snails.

I do know trout eat snails as I have found them in the stomaches of the trout in my trout pond and the trout pond has very few of them for that reason. The other ponds are loaded with ramshorn snails. Maybe the same is true for very small mussels? 

BTW there is a strain of brown trout in Ireland called the Gillaroo that feeds primarily on mollusks.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.