FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Recommend a beginner Fly combo?  (Read 4010 times)

walpy

Recommend a beginner Fly combo?
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Can anyone recommend a decent beginner fly combo? I'm trying to get something I can learn with and may upgrade next year. I've been told to look for 9', 5wt, moderate action.

Trying to save as much $ as I can seeing as I will need to get flies and a case (literally everything) oh AND :tipup: fishing is right around the corner  ;D

Thanks in advance!

seamonkey84

Re: Recommend a beginner Fly combo?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Honestly you can’t really go wrong with a cabelas or bean combo when they go on sale. Go for a 5 or 6wt and practice with some sunfish, it’s how I learned 3 years ago. Or, go visit a Mardens!
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I got a cheap combo from cabelas earlier this year to learn. It came with a few accessories (basic flys, nippers, lanyards, a bag/pack for gear). It was about $100 on sale if I remember correctly. So far it’s been a great starter set, but the accessories were trash, and I have since replaced most of the stuff. If I were to go it again I’d just get the rod/reel combo. The rod and reel combo aren’t the best, but it’s hard to beat for a newbie considering the price.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I got a cheap combo from cabelas earlier this year to learn. It came with a few accessories (basic flys, nippers, lanyards, a bag/pack for gear). It was about $100 on sale if I remember correctly. So far it’s been a great starter set, but the accessories were trash, and I have since replaced most of the stuff. If I were to go it again I’d just get the rod/reel combo. The rod and reel combo aren’t the best, but it’s hard to beat for a newbie considering the price.
Yea, get one of their rod reel combos, not the starter kits. Most of them also come with line and backing. Just need to add leader, and few basic flies based on what your fishing for. Lots of new lingo and info to absorb when starting with fly fishing, so keep it simple at first and get the basics down. It was late spring when I started, so I had a summer to practice casting at sunfish before for the fall stocking season in rivers that are still open. Also, check out the Maineflyfish.com forum.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

walpy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I didn't even think of Mardens!

But thank you - right now I'm looking at the LL Bean Quest II kit in either 8'6" 5wt or 9' 6wt.. doesn't look bad for $120, tops of what I want to spend but has good reviews

I'll def head over to Maineflyfish.com !

JDK

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Both of my sons started out with the Quest kit.  Not a bad outfit for the price. 
# SAND

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:51 PM »
After reading the other posts I should add that my cabelas rod is good for the price but not the best. My buddy has one of the ll bean set ups, which I think is a quest, and the rod and reel seem a higher quality to me. If I did it again I’d go with the beans.

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2018, 03:09 PM »
After reading the other posts I should add that my cabelas rod is good for the price but not the best. My buddy has one of the ll bean set ups, which I think is a quest, and the rod and reel seem a higher quality to me. If I did it again I’d go with the beans.

Agreed.  I've got both a bean and cabelas low end setup plus an encounter Orvis setup.  The LL Bean lower priced options seemed to be higher quality for the same price.  I also cracked the top section of the rod where it attaches to the bottom and they sent me a brand new rod and case for no charge.  You can't beat their customer service.

My only caveat to the low end setups is that they are really only worth the money for smaller fish (panfish, domestic trout, bass, etc).  If you ever end up getting a setup in a 8/9wt and need a reel where you are going to utilize the drag while fighting a fish then you will be better off spending a little more money.  After losing several fish to a jumpy drag on the 8wt encounter while fishing for salmon/steelhead I finally bit the bullet and bought a lamson reel and paired it with a TFO rod.  I got both on sale so the whole setup only cost me $450 which is a steal compared the retail price of both.  You won't need to go that expensive but save yourself from buying two setups like I ended up doing.  But now I've got a back up!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Bartman44

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Can anyone recommend a decent beginner fly combo? I'm trying to get something I can learn with and may upgrade next year. I've been told to look for 9', 5wt, moderate action.

Trying to save as much $ as I can seeing as I will need to get flies and a case (literally everything) oh AND :tipup: fishing is right around the corner  ;D

Thanks in advance!

PM me your address and I'll send you some flies to get you started.   

walpy

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Thank you Bartman, that's incredibly generous of you!

joefishmore

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Where do you plan to fish ?

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I have a cheaper tfo 5 weight and an expensive sage.  I use the tfo more!  The expensive blanks cast great but honestly you'll fish better with shorter casts. 

Bartman44

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I have a cheaper tfo 5 weight and an expensive sage.  I use the tfo more!  The expensive blanks cast great but honestly you'll fish better with shorter casts.

Agree. Shorter casts 99% of the time.  I have a TFO also and like it. Don't overlook the Fenwick HMG. I have an 8.5 footer, 6 weight  I use for streamer fishing and it works very well for New England streams.   You might be able to pick up a used 5 or 6 weight on E-bay. 

walpy

« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Where do you plan to fish ?

Mostly southern & centeral Maine - but I do take a handful of trips to the great north woods and Moosehead areas each year.

walpy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2018, 07:41 PM »
I ended up grabbing this one in 5wt, 9’

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/115673?page=quest-ii-boxed-fly-rod-outfits

I read a lot of articles, plus I had some leftover $ on my Beans gift card. In it for under $100

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.