FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: locating catfish  (Read 3140 times)

walleye_master90

locating catfish
« on: Jun 27, 2005, 08:42 PM »
I went out last weekend and caught 48 catfish since then the weather has been a lil weird. I has been cold and hot and wind. Where do the catfish go when it gets cold? Do they go shallow or do they go farther up river( i was fishing near the mouth of a river when i caught them)

ifishallday

Re: locating catfish
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2005, 01:11 PM »
In My experiences and from reading other sources. When the berometric pressure goes up the fish just dont want to eat. They may not move at all. If you are talking about a long stretch of cold they will find the deepest holes and hold there for the winter. They can be very hard to locate and catch because they are not as aggressive as certain times of the year. I have always had great luck right before a cold front. Some of the best days I have fished have been right before a storm.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2005, 07:01 PM »
In My experiences and from reading other sources. When the berometric pressure goes up the fish just dont want to eat. They may not move at all. If you are talking about a long stretch of cold they will find the deepest holes and hold there for the winter. They can be very hard to locate and catch because they are not as aggressive as certain times of the year. I have always had great luck right before a cold front. Some of the best days I have fished have been right before a storm.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but my experiences have repeatedly shown that the most consistant and reliable bite is during a high pressure system...the longer the pressure system is in place, the better.   I have found this to be true for every fishing i do, catfishing included.  Yes, there is sometimes a distinct hot bite during dropping pressure.  The thing is that when there is consistant weather (which is most often during high pressure systems) fish become predictable, and patterns can much more easily be deciphered.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2005, 07:20 PM »
I'll second that Lance. Fishing for me is very reliable during a 2-3 day span of stable weather. Patterning fish is then quite easy, I have three variables that I work with almost exclusively that will find fish, which I can't do when there's  a front approaching.

ifishallday

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2005, 10:40 AM »
You Guys are right. Im sorry I got it backwards. I guess it is when the pressure drops. In my experiences before a storm or cold front is a prime time to catch some cats. But after a cold front it usually takes awhile for the fish to be active again. Usually a couple of days. I just had a great fishing experience yesterday evening. We hit a spot of ours just at the begining of a storm coming in. We caught 5 cats in an hour and a half and three topped 8lbs. This storm really shook things up. The temp outside was 98 at 4pm and shifted to mid 60s by 7pm. It was a cold rain. The fish seemed to like it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.