FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mono or Superbraid?  (Read 9413 times)

Browntrout08

Re: Mono or Superbraid?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:16 PM »
Most of my rods are rigged with mono except one, and on that one is fireline.I started using it last year I didn't lose a lure on it.  I cast to overhanging trees alot and with the fireline, I can usually rip the branches off the tree.  I use 20lb with a 8lb dia. 

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2004, 08:26 PM »
i can bite through the line   i have a little spot where my canine tooth is sharp enough to cut the line making my knot tying one step easier...for the record i can bit through 20#flourocarbon with ease

Yeah, that's a downfall of mine to.  I get lectured all the time about it, but hey, it's a real time saver!!   I have been known to naw through Spiderwire once.  It took awhile, but I did it   ;D

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2004, 07:36 PM »
All this information is a help!!!!!  I amy not agree or want to try it,  but there are really no bad answers.  My teeth are no good,  so the line biting is out.

WNYBassman,  You have to get rid of that Avatar,  I can't take the overwhelming envy!  :(

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2004, 05:59 AM »
I went to cutters after a nasty trip to the dentist. That heavy mono can crack a tooth, trust me.  Also the line is easier to thread when it's cut clean, seems like the tooth cut makes the line flat and hard to get through a hook eye sometimes.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Mono is best, because superline handles very poorly. You will backlash like crazy unless you use limp, premium mono like easy cast.
I have to say, I really think baitcasting tackle is overkill and uneeded for most all bass fishing. I use spinning tackle and light line and have no trouble breaking off bass.
I fish for large river dwelling trout in Colorado, in snaggy, nasty rivers. No bass has the fighting power of a good sized trout. I fish for these fish with no heavier than six or eight pound line. These fish routinely top ten pounds, and even a six pounder is like snagging an amtrack doing 90.
Six pound line on spinning tackle is best for most situations for bass. Lighter lines casts farther, brings lures deeper, and gives them a better action. For flipping heavy cover for double digit largies is about the only thing you would need casting tackle for. Even then though, 12 or 14 pound premium mono is plenty.
Try light line when not fishing really heavy cover. Scale down with smaller lures, and I guarantee a huge difference in the number of bass you hook.
Good Fishing to all.

Tyler

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:04 AM »
Well you hook a Big Bass in 15ft of Coontail weed on your little 6lb fishy line and I'll go eat lunch while your trying to get him in. The reason for the big line isn't for the size or power of the fish, it's all the crap they live in and under. I love to use light line but I hate to always loose the fish in heavy weeds. So the 20lb mono comes out, and that ends that problem. You can use 6lb all day for smallies, there isn't too much for them to get wrapped up in a big lake.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:58 PM »
SuperX2 has the point on getting Bass out of those weeds and other nasty stuff.  the point of using a Baitcaster is not,  the bigger the better,  rather that the Baitcaster has a far superior Drag system.  Just like you need to have a larger BC for Northern Pike and Muskie,  you need to go larger for Bass.  Jusy my $.02.

SuperX2

• Giv'em The One Four
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2004, 11:44 AM »
Well it's tough to find a reel that isn't a baitcaster that can handle 15lb plus lines, that doens't look like a saltwater rig that is. Tough to cast 20lb XT on a spinning reel.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:21 PM »
For my spinning outfits, I usually use 10-12lb mono. Generally, it's 10 lb Trilene XL or sometimes XT. The 12 lb I use is Trilene Sensation. Sometimes I try other lines out. I don't know if anyone else has realized this, but for about $4.00, the Shakespere Sigma mono is extremely good line. I can't find it very many places, but when I have it, I'm always happy with it. SpiderLine XXX is also nice line.

For my baitcasters, I like to use Hybrid lines, such as SpiderWire Fusion. This stuff is so strong is unbelievable. Very thin too. The 24 lb line I usually use is sometimes hard to tie knots with on certain lures. The only problem with this, however, is that shortly after you put it on your reel, it will be a little "waxy". No big deal really, just have to break it in. The waxiness can make it a little more difficult to tie knots, as well.

Want a REALLY good line? Berkely Iron Silk is awesome. It runs around $10-11 for a regular spool, but it's really sensitive, and it's strong as hell. Very low stretch, also.

Line is such an important element in fishing, don't skimp out. Don't go overboard on line weight either. 17 lb mono is pretty much overkill, and can really mess up some presentations. The only times I would find line that heavy necessary is when fishing heavy milfoil, or other vegetation, or fishing a log jam/ brush pile, where theres alot of coarse surfaces. Oh wait...you still don't need it. IronSilk or Fusion will work just fine.

-Zach

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:30 AM »
I use baitcasting gear for pike, large trout, and catfish. These are big fish that can take line in a hurry.
Yeah baitcasters work much better for line testing 12 pounds or better. And no I don't use the same six pound test in extremely heavy weeds. But 14 is as high as I go, and I have only broken off a couple bass, mostly from accidently tightening the drag when I meant to loosen it.
But even for big bass in cover that's not too bad, six pound test is great. I use 12 for notherns and lake trout in open water, and 15 - 20 for Channel Cats.
I am actually just saying I see lots of guys using overkill line for bass that aren't in heavy cover, and I think it might cost you some strikes. Just a thought.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.