FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly rod suggestions  (Read 1539 times)

fishinator

Fly rod suggestions
« on: Jun 11, 2020, 06:50 PM »
My local lake has some giant panfish. Gills get up to 10" and redear over a foot aren't uncommon. Problem is the weeds are THICK. The only way I can think of to present a bait to them is a floating fly. I have no idea what weight fly rod I would need to get them out of the weeds?
  Also any suggestions on a cheap set up? It won't get used often so I don't want to spend much.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fly rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2020, 02:38 AM »
9' 5 wt is the best place to start. You can get into a useable setup for around $100 on Amazon maybe less.  P.M. Me your address when you get a setup and I'll send you some flies to play with.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Fly fishing is the most fun, but in the weeds not so much... I would use a telescopic crappy rod. You can get them over 16' for under $20. You can then place anything you want for bait, right in any holes you see, then pull them right up and out of the weeds! Old school but it is very effective for what you describe...

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2020, 11:11 PM »
I still haven't decided what I want to do. So busy with kids ball games now that I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks for the offer rg, if I decide to get a flyrod I will definitely hit you up.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2020, 01:21 PM »
Saw a fly rod setup at Walmart for $40 or so the other day.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:31 AM »
The 5 wt  weight forward fly rod is a great idea by RG .It can be used for pan fish, bass and trout. The Cabelas fly fishing package now is on sale at $120 for everything, 5WT 9 ft. . rod and reel, line, leader, rod case, flies, leader, line, etc. This 9 foot package is great. Have bought it many times for beginners in my family. Also you can always cast Gaines poppers in the weeds and pads in lakes and ponds even from the shore or standing in  the water since they float and imitate a frog.  Nymphs like a pheasant tail nymph will catch  catfish, pannies, trout and bass. Plus if all else fails you can always bait up with worms, grubs, wax worms or salted minnows if your desperate. You'll  love fly fishing once you get out there. and do it.  Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.