FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Why a kayak for fishing??  (Read 6510 times)

PIKEBAIT

Why a kayak for fishing??
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:32 AM »
OK!  I'm a lifetime canoe person .   I like the room and stability of my canoes.  I asked a neighbor why he bought a kayak.  He told me it was light and cheap.  I checked and found that the fishing yams are not cheap and weigh more than my 14 ft. Canoe.
Someone explain the benefits?
Dick

Rlace19

Re: Why a kayak for fishing??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:06 PM »
I have a Hobie Outback and a canoe. I only use the canoe if I’m bringing a second. The kayak is amazing! Way sturdier than a canoe. But it is much heavier. Kayak is pedal system so you do not have to row which is nice and has more built in features compared to a canoe.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Jesus, don’t be so hard on yourself Dick!  I Dono If i’d call you a cancer!  ;) :P

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 05:26 PM »
 8) Frank I can always leave it up to you to correct my spelling.
Dick

AquaAssassin

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 05:43 PM »
 ;)

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 06:17 PM »
I have a Pelican Catch 120. I have it all rigged and a few mods, it is a fishing machine! And it weighs 69lbs., only have to lift half at a time the way I move it.

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

AquaAssassin

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 06:28 PM »
I’m with Dick, I’m a lifetime canoe guy as well, id love to here why I should finally make the switch as well since I really could see it being a game changer in my Flounder game as of late. I run a 12 foot Radisson and love that you can lift it with one hand and paddle out big bucks with ease but am thinking the kayak route must be better for fishing applications.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 08:24 PM »
Can you stand up in a kayak, or at least some of the kayaks? Unfortunately, I know the answer for a canoe...

If so I can see that as being a big advantage for a yak. I’ve also kind of wondered what in the world those paddle boarders are doing out on a lake, but I also think they could be wicked for fishing some hard to get places if they are not too heavy.

Johnnh

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 05:28 AM »
I have a FeelFree Lure 11.5 kayak now and a new Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL is arriving next week.

There are several advantages to sit on top fishing kayaks
STABILITY
Pedal drive allows hands free operation and immediate forward / reverse. I only use the paddle when launching, in heavy weeds and very shallow water ( about a foot).
Rudder gives you excellent steering especially on a windy day.
You can sit or stand

The fishing kayaks have storage hatches, ability to add tackle crates, and rail slots to add rod holders, cleats, fish finders,  and most anything you need.

Take a look at some of the videos on YouTube. Tons of details out there

Note, a friend of mine has a blast on flounder with his

John

AquaAssassin

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 06:20 AM »
Yes it would haveto be sit in top, the other kind were some of the most uncomfortable things I’ve been in and you can’t see well into the water

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Bart,  I see yours has stabilizers. Do they come with the package.
Still looks like way less tackle room than my 14 ft. Canoe.
You look really comfy in your Pelican but I've spent a few hours in a kayak and it was hard to straighten up at the launch.
Still weighs a lot more than my canoe.  I could never recommend standing up in either a canoe or kayak.
Dick

Rapala7G

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 09:24 AM »
I think that there is a boat for every butt.  One thing that I see in the fishing kayak craze is customization.  Not unlike motorcycles, people enjoy adding gadgets and capability to their rig.  Getting into skinny, lightly fished waters can be accomplished with a canoe or kayak and I've done both. 

As my body has "changed" (ouch) over the years, my needs have evolved.  The Old Town 119K canoe that I owned was light at 43# but getting harder to lift to the roof rack in one motion.  Trying one end at a time was tricky because the pointy ends liked to roll.  With its high seat, it was not a very stable craft especially when getting in and out at the shore bank.

After I sold it I went several years missing the swamps and remote spots where the fishing is easy.  The Coleman Scanoe I have is too heavy for me to manage solo so I started search for the next solo boat.

What I settled on is not really a kayak or a canoe but a hybrid of both.  It is an Ascend H10 Hybrid sit in.  The seat is low and comfortable and has a back.  The hull form shelters my lower body from most wind and spray.  Because it has a catamaran type hull it is stable for entering, exiting and out on the water.  I will not win any canoe races with it but it paddles good enough for me.  There are places where you can add accessories but I have not done so.  Instead, I have removed the side pouches and the fore and aft deck covers to lighten it.  It is easy to put on the roof rack one end at a time.

Since I have started fishing in this "kayak" I can honestly say that I have caught more and larger fish.  This is mainly because I can go solo and therefore, more often.  The swampy places are back on my list as well.

Again, there's a boat for every butt.

This one best suits mine:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-h10-sit-in-hybrid-kayak-desert-storm

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 11:21 AM »
"I think that there is a boat for every butt." I agree wholeheartedly, as is the case with bigger boats. Pretty much a Ford/Chevy thing.
I enjoy trolling when it's appropriate. The Sports Pals and Raddison's have wide beams and sponsons for stability, oar locks and are light. Lots of room for easy access storage and customization. I would sit in the bottom of mine on a flat stiff back cushion seat and row backwards.
Had one Downeaster salty rod holder on each side just in front of me, fish finder beside me, net right behind me, tackle bag between my legs and troll away. Even had a down rigger mounted, occasionally.
I'd just pick the rig that suits your fishing style the best.

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 12:34 PM »
I think that there is a boat for every butt.

I love that, think I’m going to have to use that one sometime lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

SafeMayflies

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 12:59 PM »
The argument that a kayak is more stable than a canoe, or canoe than a kayak, all depends on models and lengths. I watched an old timer canoe most of the Allagash on his feet in his old 12 foot canoe. I stand in my Sportspal all the time but would never in my old Bear Creek.

Both have benefits and depend on what you are using them for.
I really like fishing for Stripers from the kayak. The pedal drive system makes moving hands free. I also like the safety of the sit on top. The kayak won't sink. If something bad happens and I end up in the water I can climb back on and be set.

Other than saltwater applications I prefer a canoe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.