FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clean out the Banks  (Read 1911 times)

bigr

Clean out the Banks
« on: Jul 25, 2022, 12:35 PM »
Time again for our clean out the banks Wabash river event held every year on the last Saturday in July. This is a great opportunity to fish the Wabash at the same time your helping the largest volunteer cleanup group in Indiana. The fishing has been good for Sauger and walleye in the better holes and the Smallies are really getting going now below the ripples. I'll have my pole in my canoe as i wade feeling and looking for cleanup items ill throw in the canoe. I always have time to make a few cast as i work the mile or so stretch we're responsible for. The cleanout is from Huntington county line to Miami county line. 19 miles that run thru Wabash County. Festivities begin at 7:15am at the pavilion in Paridise springs park just east of downtown Wabash. Breakfast items include  hot coffee doughnuts and fruit also a free T shirt. A short awards segment will begin at 8 then off to river for  the clean out. When finished with the section you'll return with the trash to the park, drop off and grab a hot lunch of dogs and burgers donated by Isack Walton. No cost, just your time. Time well spent especially if you mix alittle fishing in as you go. The Corp of eng will have the river at a good level as long as there's no really heavy rains before hand. They can only control the discharge from Roush and Sally. I recommend canoes but kayak work well as jon boats. Let me know if your interested or take a look at the River Defender Web site for more details. I'll be happy to recommend good put in and take out locations and it's fine to just fish that morning and if you see something, grab it and drop it off in one of the groups boats as you pass by them. It sound like there will be higher ups in the state and Even Washington attending the ceremony portion. Congresswomen, senator, mayor possible Governor. The top person from the corp of eng and a unnamed person from Washington. TV will be here also. We hoping to have as many people attend this year as possible. This clean out has help the river and the fishing. If you ever wanted to give the river fishing a shot and spend the day swimming wading splashing and casting bring your family friends ,put a group together and join us. Look me up at the park. Big R or Rollin Mccoart Most know me.         

Teacherpreacher

Re: Clean out the Banks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2022, 07:50 AM »
Sounds like a great event!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2022, 06:57 PM »
It's too bad you have to do that in the first place.  :(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Agree Taxid! I pick up a pop can or beer can or MacDonalds wrapper, or something in front of my house at least once a week. I do it without even thinking any more but just don't understand where people's minds are ?? But if you watch the news and see innocent people, (Usually elderly) standing on street in major city and some freak walks up and knocks them to the ground? Tells you something?! Respect for others, their surroundings, their country---- gone!
Teach

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2022, 08:49 AM »
Yes it is sad but it's nothing new. What we pull from the river in alot of cases are things that were dump many many years ago. It was just an acceptable practice back then. Fact is there's alot less big long lasting material now being dumped than long ago. Lots of old farming stuff and car parts. Tires are always our largest hauls with most of them being very old. Rims and all. In the 12 previous years we have pulled around 12000 tires just from the Wabash section. Each year it harder and harder too find the tires. Seldom do we find newly dumped tires. I think now most people have professionals install tires unlike the old days so they get disposed of legally. It still sad but from what i see it's getting better but we'll never stop all the A-holes from not caring.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2022, 09:46 AM »
A Facebook friend in Massachusetts (he has posted here but not lately) walks stream banks after storms or when the water is down and finds antique bottles sometimes well over a 100 years old. And surprisingly intact. I guess at one time the landfill of choice was creeks and streams. So sad the ignorance and lack of caring about their environment even back then.

I get people that purposely target my property that abuts a major highway with beer bottles etc. I'm not bragging but I have an impressive 3 level log home, three car garage and 4 ponds and I think they're jealous.  ;D

Funny story: My neighbor a marine you don't want to mess with, witnessed a car slow down in front of his property and throw trash out the window. He got close enough to get their make and model of car and license plate before they sped off, and said he actually knew who it was, and instead of taking it into his own hands set out for the local police department. The first thing they told him was there was nothing he can do about it. He replied, "Then I'll take care of it. We marines have our ways."  ;D "Sir that's not a good idea and we prefer you not do that," was the reply back from the police department. The marine said, "Well it's obvious you won't, so somebody has to do it."  :rotflol: 

I don't know if he ever did confront the party.

On another note I came down to my mailbox one day to find a Wendy's bag with written in big black magic marker "Here's some free **** for you fa**ot.  This was apparently in response to a political sign I had there. Turned out the moron still had his receipt in the bag, which had most of his credit card number blacked out but did have his first and last name. Police blew me off on that one too. I was concerned as I have elderly parents on my property and I don't need some whack job threatening them. Anyway, it was an uncommon name combination and I found him on Facebook. He was bragging about just having his first child and how he loved Jesus blah blah blah. I posted a picture of the bag and writing and read him the riot act. I'm sure I had the right guy as he didn't respond. I would think if it wasn't him he would have protested.

BTW just in case someone thinks I have a beef with cops, I don't. I have two nephews that are LEO's and some of my best taxidermy customers have been LEO's. There are a few I wouldn't trust with my dog though. And some small town cops that refuse to do just about anything that requires any effort.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Life is still a hoot , in my opinion. A lot of the wrong we as individuals can't change. But I love every day I have and I'm thankful for all that I have. Great friends , family and old Mother Nature!
Teach

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Life is still a hoot , in my opinion. A lot of the wrong we as individuals can't change. But I love every day I have and I'm thankful for all that I have. Great friends , family and old Mother Nature!
Teach

For sure! 

indianahooker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2022, 07:41 AM »
that's a great effort.

hard to imagine there are 1000 tires a year tossed into a river, 19miles long, every year!  must be some tire guy doing it!  around here i mite see 3 a year close to the city.

on the other hand, those tires must have spawned millions of catfish ;D

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2022, 08:29 AM »
that's a great effort.

hard to imagine there are 1000 tires a year tossed into a river, 19miles long, every year!  must be some tire guy doing it!  around here i mite see 3 a year close to the city.

on the other hand, those tires must have spawned millions of catfish ;D

Could it be there are lots of tires you don't see?

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2022, 09:02 AM »
The majority of the tires are many many years old and were put in the river long before we had places that change tires like we have now. Very few new tires show up. We had another very good cleanout Saturday. I don't have numbers as far as weight of junk but the piles of separated items were getting big when i left. All steel and recyl's then the landfill junk then the tires. Thanks to all on here that may have been apart of this. A few casts were made from our group and a large drum was landed and two nice other unknown fish got off. Suspect both were walleye. The river is in great shape today and is better than saturday thanks to the cleanout.

indianahooker

« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2022, 02:11 PM »
that makes sense.  they must keep oozing from the bottom bedrock.

Could it be there are lots of tires you don't see?

i guess so, taxid!  truck loads!  lol  now there is a good use for live scope, finding tires. 

indianahooker

« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2022, 02:20 PM »
is this the event your talking about here? https://www.yournewslocal.com/wabash-river-defenders-river-cleanup-to-be-held-saturday-july-29th/  sounds like something id be into next year.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2022, 03:04 PM »
Yes that is the event. Held every year on the last sat of july

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.