FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Carmi ?  (Read 6633 times)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Lake Carmi ?
« on: Jul 09, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Does anyone fish Lake Carmi during the summer time?  Any info will be appreciated.

Tight Lines to all
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

jf5

Re: Lake Carmi ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2004, 12:41 PM »
My experince on the lake is limited.  But maybe I can make a suggestion.

Fish deeper waters during the heat of the day as the cooler water is there. In the late evening/nighttime. Work the shallows for crusing gamefish.

If you are fishing walleyes, work the bottom with a slow retrieve. Jigs, harness', suspending stickbaits, and crankbaits should work.  This should get you some perch and smallmouth as well.

Pike, work the weeds with spoons and large stickbaits.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2004, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Would anyone else please share so more info like is there motor restrictions, boat restrictions etc?  Thanks in advance for any up dates.

Tight Lines,
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

jf5

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2004, 10:54 AM »
I am not aware of any boat or motor restrictions. I am sure you can call the region VT office to confirm, but nothing is listed in the abstracts. There certainly is use of gas motors on this lake and it has a trailer launch in two locations on the lake.  There is a special restruciton on walleyes, with all fish 18-20 inches requiring release, and only 1 fish over 20 inches, and 3 under 18.  The pike and bass are general regulations.

The local warden lives on the lake.

Esox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Jason,
You might want to read your regs again. ;)

Carmi...

Walleye
• OPEN SEASON—1st Saturday in May to March 15
• LENGTH RULES—Walleyes less than 15" and between 17"- 20" must be
released; walleyes 15"-16.99" and greater than 20" may be kept
• CREEL LIMITS—5

No motor restrictions.

jf5

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Jason,
You might want to read your regs again. ;)

Carmi...

Walleye
• OPEN SEASON—1st Saturday in May to March 15
• LENGTH RULES—Walleyes less than 15" and between 17"- 20" must be
released; walleyes 15"-16.99" and greater than 20" may be kept
• CREEL LIMITS—5

No motor restrictions.

Jeez, Guess i should before giving out advice!  ::)   Good thing I carry the regs with me, seems that I am crossing them with other regulations.  My apologies to all!!

Esox

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2004, 01:44 PM »
LOL...Considering how many different areas you fish, a little confusion is to be expected.  ;) And remember regardless of what anybody tells anybody about the rules, it's the person who is fishing responsibility to know and follow the regs. So...that get's you off the hook...so to speak. ;D

jf5

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Bob. Seems like I am morphing the Carmi and CT river walleye regs together into a whole new regulation!! I still feel bad. Don't want folks getting in trouble over my wrong info. And I ertainly don't want to anger any marines!!  ;D

But speaking of Carmi. Its a done deal. I'll be up there Sep 23-26th renting a lakeside place. If you're up for some fishing, let me know.

Esox

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Jason,
I'll let you know. I'd like to get out for one day with you. Remind me as we get closer...I'll be running in circles thinking about deer season, moose season(I hope), tuna, stripers, ice fishing.....the list goes on. ::)

jf5

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2004, 02:37 PM »
I understand!!  I will bring it up with you in Sept.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2004, 06:04 PM »
jf5 and Bob,
Thanks for the info.  I don't know if I'll be able to fish it before winter but would really like to.  I love panfishing but would like to try and get into a couple walleyes also.  I'll have to juggle my time around in order to fish it and if I can would either of you two be willing to give up a couple secrets?

Thanks again guy's
Steve

ps...jf5, this Marine isn't angry   ;D

Esox

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Steve,
Send me a PM before you head up. I'll try and get you headed in the right direction.  ;)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2004, 09:45 PM »
Thanks Bob, I'll definately do that. 

Steve

jf5

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2004, 10:31 AM »
jf5 and Bob,
Thanks for the info.  I don't know if I'll be able to fish it before winter but would really like to.  I love panfishing but would like to try and get into a couple walleyes also.  I'll have to juggle my time around in order to fish it and if I can would either of you two be willing to give up a couple secrets?

Thanks again guy's
Steve

ps...jf5, this Marine isn't angry   ;D

You're very welcome.  I don't know how much experience you have with walleyes, but they key is to work the bottom and SLOWLY. Any of the lures listed above might work. I like to catch them on spinners tipped with a 1/2 crawler. I crank the lure just enough to turn the blades. They are not aggresive strikers so set the hook if you feel the taps. Evenings and nightitme are by far the best times for these light sensative fish, especially in summer. They love live bait like small minnows and crawlers too. Pulling up and dropping these baits works well .

Cool thing about Carmi is that there is decent pike fishing and some smallmouths.  If walleye fishing, you are bound to run into some of those Carmi jumbo perch too.  I ice fished this place last year for the first time and loved it!!

Bob should be able to help you with the specifics of the lake itself.  Thats his territory!!  ;D

Good luck, and let us know how you do.  If you can't make it to Carmi, but have an itching to try walleyes. The CT river has been producing the past few weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.