FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling live shiners for salmon???  (Read 12429 times)

JoeGG

Re: Trolling live shiners for salmon???
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2017, 03:07 PM »
I'm used to sewing smelt behind fly rods back home in maine, and since I canot get smelt around here I decided to give the shiners and a dodger a shot this past week, trolled for about 5 minutes until line was ripping  out. Landed a a 19" salmon. Went five for five in 4 hours.
[/quoteAre you sewing the shiners on so they do a slooooow role behind the dodger?

dickbaker

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:04 AM »
 ??? ::)  Joe I grew up in Maine using smelt with a slow roll!    Using  my method the shiners will stay alive and swim straight up (no roll??).
Check shiner at side of boat.  If it spins, take it off and replace.  A spinning shiner or a speed over 2 mph will lead to a massive line twist?
Dick

JoeGG

« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2017, 07:50 AM »
I realize what your saying dick but sewn on properly they are supposed to do a slow roll. What's the point of sewing them on if they're not going to do a slow roll. People on here complain that they don't stay alive if you sew them on. They're not supposed to!! Sewing a  baits lips shut and running a needle through its anus won't keep it alive. Lol I've seen guys line up smelt that are pre-rigged on leaders chilling in a cooler so the don't have to fumble around and sew one on every time they got a hit. It looks to me that with your method they are being sewn on but you're not putting a bend in them. Why not just hook them through both lips and troll under 2 mph. That's the speed you're supposed to troll live bait anyway right? My question was if the bait is supposed to do a slow roll behind a dodger or not.

dickbaker

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Joe!   You have to do what you think is best?    I've just found that arkansas shiners live a long time and are much cheaper than smelt (if you can fins smelt).    Shiners will live and swim for a half hour of more.  The hook out the rear is there because that's where the salmon will bite first?
We check out shiners every half hour and replace shiners that are spinning or dead.   Sewing is time consuming.  I can rig one of my shiners in 30 seconds.  At one time on Winni  I went to the expense of buying smelt.   By noon half of them were dead?  For the morning we trolled both shiners and smelt.    Seemed odd but we netted 20 salmon but only 3  had taken a smelt?    No question about Champlain because I can't use smelt??

This method works great for bass and pike (little bigger wire hook).   For warm water fish I only hook the shiner through both lips.   
I have a  bait sewing needle next me right now.   I only use it to clean my finger nails or rig tail hooks in plastic worms?

Dick

JoeGG

« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Disregard my pm Dick. I thought I may have written something to offend you  and that you may have responded negatively. Then I realized it was not on the Ma thread. Lol my bad

dickbaker

« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Joe,  No problem.  Wish you lots of luck whether you fish live bait or hard stuff.   Spring is almost here?
Dick

FishFinga207

« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I'm used to sewing smelt behind fly rods back home in maine, and since I canot get smelt around here I decided to give the shiners and a dodger a shot this past week, trolled for about 5 minutes until line was ripping  out. Landed a a 19" salmon. Went five for five in 4 hours.
[/quoteAre you sewing the shiners on so they do a slooooow role behind the dodger?

Joe, I sewed them the same way I do smelt with two hooks, back hook looped in the side just aft the girls and back through again on the side out the rear end, front hook right down the top of the nose twice. Didn't get any tangles from the roll, run a swivel on both sides of the dodger and shouldn't be an issue.

-Joe

JoeGG

« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Thanks

Bailbuster

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Minnies are all we use , size 6 eagleclaw 84J thru the nose.........can't get much easier then that! We even use them the same way on lead core..

dickbaker

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Minnies are all we use , size 6 eagleclaw 84J thru the nose.........can't get much easier then that! We even use them the same way on lead core..

Do you hook them through both jaws or just upper jaw?
Dick

lingcod

« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been active on the ice fishing forum.  Can anyone describe what Arkansas shiners are? Do they go by another name? I've been using a type of minnow called "hunts" and they are great for salmon. I find them to handily outfish emerald shiners.

boondox

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Do you hook them through both jaws or just upper jaw?
Dick

I hook mine threw nose same as him but use a double hook stinger rig.. two hooks one up one down... snelled with black bird Saber tooth hooks size 12..  you can get these threw the fishes nose very easilly friends find hemos help if your fingers are not perfect or eye sight is bad to thread them on hook.. here is a link to the hooks I use.. I don't know if two hook are legal or not were  your at but we can use two here ..so be aware of that..

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Blackbird-Sabretooth-Premium-Hooks-by-Redwing-Tackle

dickbaker

« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been active on the ice fishing forum.  Can anyone describe what Arkansas shiners are? Do they go by another name? I've been using a type of minnow called "hunts" and they are great for salmon. I find them to handily outfish emerald shiners.

These are standard shiners at bait shops in New England.  I'm pretty sure they are just golden shiners that are very silver when they are small?
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2017, 12:36 PM »
 ??? Boondox?   Can only use single hook in NH.

Dick

boondox

« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2017, 11:51 PM »
??? Boondox?   Can only use single hook in NH.

Dick

Michigan guy sorry..  but this may help you if you read below.. for single hook fishing ..

First method:
You got a sewing needle and a thimble  use that to thread the bait threw nose and then tie hook on and hook like a crappie minnow in back.. above lateral line behind dorsal fin is for hook placement.. on emerald shiners I put the hook threw the nostril which is two dots on top of the head in front of eyes  just be hind lips .. push needle threw the skull of the bait so it holds better. Dont poke it in the brain killing it you want live bait so it swims.. but be aware this first method the bait when it dies tends to spin or death roll that's why I suggest secound method which follows but same hook and needle placements. As above..

Secound method::
if you got bait rigging flOSS you can get at bass pro.Com you could with a single hook make it swim straight by threadING floss threw nose holes..   then tie the floss in over the leader with two over hand knots..  then place single hook in back of bait trim up floss so less visable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.