FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?  (Read 5643 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:39 AM »
But how tight to a contour line can you stay with bow mount motor with your line behind you? Say you want to follow exactly a 20 foot break that shifts rapidly back and forth. I challenge you do that with a bow mount motor. Sure you can do it if you're standing in the front of the boat but not as precisely. Or am I wrong?

I'd say I can do it pretty accurately. I use the downriggers when I want to do that so I can turn real quick and the lines are fairly close to the boat. Even if I'm fishing 5 feet down I'll use the riggers sometimes. Here is an instance that required precision trolling... this is Asizcohos Lake in Western Maine. I camped there a while back and if you see on this map, it's a river basin that was flooded. The lake is fairly shallow except in the river channel and the water was down a good 10 feet from normal due to our drought in the northeast. I wanted to try trolling right in that deepwater, so I used the chart along with my sonar and was able to stay right where I wanted, trolling slowly.

I can record a track along that 20ft contour with accuracy and then make the boat run that track all day while I watch my prey on panoptix mounted on the head of the ipilot. Its amazing.  I use my remote 90% of the time.  If I'm being lazy I won't follow a contour ill hit autopilot, set cruise speed and let the unit do all the work.  I like that it'll adjust the power with the wind speed and I'm hands free all the time.  No tiller work.

Absolutely DYING to get Panoptix. It's why I went with a non-side scanning unit for my current headunit. Budget was kinda blown with the Ulterra purchase but next year I WILL be getting Panoptix and then look out!

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Mac been using a terova for 11 years  , mine doesn’t have the capability to lock on the contour line and follow but then again it’s not that important for walleye fishing here 😉
 Far as wave hackers , Oneida when it’s rough  holds back a lot of water
 I have a back troller just prefer other methods

You need I-Pilot Link to do this and I "think" it needs to be connected to a Humminbird device to do this.
You plot the course on your recorder and then the motor will follow the course.

The basic I-Pilot (without Link) will remember a course that you run and then run back over the course in either direction.
But you need to run it manually and push some buttons before and after running the course to save it to memory in the motor.

(I think this is correct anyway)

But spot lock is for sitting still in one location.
I love spot lock for perch fishing in Erie.
Hold us WAY closer to the spot than any anchor can because of all of the rode out when using an anchor and swing that results.

filetandrelease

« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:27 AM »

Yes Mac I can record and and play back but fish don’t always sit still so always running the same track doesn’t always produce

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:29 AM »
You need I-Pilot Link to do this and I "think" it needs to be connected to a Humminbird device to do this.
You plot the course on your recorder and then the motor will follow the course.

The basic I-Pilot (without Link) will remember a course that you run and then run back over the course in either direction.
But you need to run it manually and push some buttons before and after running the course to save it to memory in the motor.

(I think this is correct anyway)

But spot lock is for sitting still in one location.
I love spot lock for perch fishing in Erie.
Hold us WAY closer to the spot than any anchor can because of all of the rode out when using an anchor and swing that results.

Yes to do it automatically you do need link and you do need a hummingbird unit.  However if you use the track record on ipilot while you manually track on a contour you only need to manually stay on that contour 1x, which isn't overly difficult.

Geoff its worth the investment.

filetandrelease

« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:47 AM »

Yes Jon I can do that and I have lowrances on board ,
 I find on Oneida as much as the eyes move when trolling , recording isn’t all that productive , I can turn and lay on the same gps line if I wish

Mac Attack

« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Yes Mac I can record and and play back but fish don’t always sit still so always running the same track doesn’t always produce

I get it, but sometimes it's great to be able to go thru that school a 2nd time.
(or so I'm told)

Me, I really don't typically do this out on Lake Erie.
By the time we get the fish in, and say, "maybe we should go thru there again.", we are 1/2 mile plus past the area.
Then it would take a long time to slowly turn around, because we have 6-9 rods out, and then finally get back to the place.
Might be an hour later.  lol
So your comment holds merit.
We typically continue on looking for more fish elsewhere.

filetandrelease

« Reply #36 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:02 PM »

Yes sir long lines take a long time to turn , like salmon fishing Ontario with 400’ of copper out on a board  or long lines off dipseys
 There are spots much tighter than this 19’ difference in 134’ ,
 I only run 4 rods anyway , and my lines are pretty short So it doesn’t take all day to pick my line back up , plus I mark the spots I hit fish , like I said I spend most of the time jigging anyway which is more productive at least for guys I know , and Oneida 40’ is deep 😉

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Sep 14, 2020, 12:41 PM »
I think we should all just jig and then these complexities will not present themselves!  8)

filetandrelease

« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2020, 01:38 PM »
 Everyone has their own way and that’s fine , they (walleyes) eat well  ,more fun through the ice anyway

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #39 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I think we should all just jig and then these complexities will not present themselves!  8)

Give me another 3 months and I will be!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.